The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 22, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1
DennisCA

An interesting range discussion

Last week I was at a range (bay area ca) and I had brought a couple of C&R guns plus this one:
[IMG][/IMG]
(this is the deer-slayer: it solely responsible for reducing the number of deer in several states/on both coast and a few places in between! )

It's a Winchester Model 70 (feather weight) in .270 cal.This gun I've had since the mid-80's.

During one of breaks, a guy next to me came over to talk.
He had a tricked-out AR-15 that had more "accessories" on it than I could count (why I do not know - each to his own I guess)

Any ways I digress - He ask the story of the rifle (which I was more than happy to tell him!) and then he said promptly:
I'll give you (basically 3 times what I paid for it) for that rifle. Without pausing I politely declined his offer. He asked why and said this gun as too many memories and wouldn't part with for the world!

He walked away shaking his head - I guess some guys just don't get it that SOME guns have more meaning than others.
Old November 22, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2
riflemen

I have a similar story..

I have a ruger m77 in 22-250 {red butt pad tang safety model} and that thing is one of the most accurate rifles I ever shot {and I own a few $7-10K sniper rifles}!!! I have killed a few deer with it and so many coyotes I couldn't begin to put a number on it, I got 7 in one night at my buddies chicken farm one night long ago...

Anyway the scope was starting to act up, I would adjust it and it click "weird", probably moisture or sand causing an issue, the stock had some scars, the butt pad seen better days, and the blueing was starting to wear buy the muzzle from the tight bag I kept it in... So i decided to go through the gun, front to back, the barrel and action were perfect, so mostly cosmetics..

I bought a new scope and found a brand new old stock complete stock on ebay for $200, I sent it to my smith for a strip and bluing job, he also coated the scope mount for me which I was going to replace, but he got it to look brand new..

Anyway I got the gun back, all assembled {all new replaceable parts {mostly springs and pins} and ready to go, I did spend more than I paid for it and almost more than it would have cost me to buy a new rifle, BUT its better than a new one and I have a history with it... It shoots just as good as ever, its rock solid, super accurate,

I was at the range sighting it in and one of the guys, said hey you got a new yote gun, and I said nope, same one, and handing it over, he was amazed and asked what it cost me to do, I told him and he was shocked like I was crazy, he said you can get a brand new one for $700 or so, I agreed and said I still can but now I don't need one because mine is like brand new again, ready to kill stuff for another decade or 2....
Old November 22, 2014, 11:05 PM   #3
603Country

Riflemen, I have a 70's era tang safety Ruger 77 in 220 Swift and have spent a good amount of money on it. Great shooter. I understand your feelings for yours, and same for the OP.
Old November 23, 2014, 12:00 AM   #4
olddav

I have a beat up old Remington Model 11 "Sportsman" 20ga. Had it sense I was about 11, would not sell it for any amount of money. My wife will once I'm gone, but I won't!
Old November 23, 2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Pathfinder45

They say you can't take it with you.........

........but I dunno,......... In ancient times and even beyond, in the stone age, even, the archaeological record shows, that a man was buried with his favorite weapons, armour, and other things, that he might not be naked and helpless on the other side. Maybe if you handed most of it down, but were buried with a few choice items, 385,000 years from now, some different civilizations archaeologists might examine your remains and ponder what you and your world were like.
Old November 23, 2014, 09:50 AM   #6
g.willikers

On the other hand, tools are just tools.
Memories are about the adventure, the people involved, the accomplishments and the results.
The tools involved, for me, are just a side note.
If someone offered three times value for my favorite shooter it would quickly have a new owner.
And I would be joyfully off shopping for a replacement, and doing my duty of supporting the gun industry.

Last edited by g.willikers; November 23, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old November 23, 2014, 09:59 AM   #7
tobnpr

Odd...

Last thing I would have expected given the "tacticool" character of the buyer (based on the AR description), to appreciate a walnut-stocked classic with a schnabel forend.

I guess there is hope, after all...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 23, 2014, 10:47 AM   #8
kraigwy

Dennis;

I have the same rifle (bought about the same time) only in 257 Roberts. beautiful rifle. Use to be my go to rifle for deer and antelope.

But, now days it seems like every time I try to take it out, my son or granddaughter want to use it so I end up carrying My newer FN Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win.

Like you, I'd never part with it, cant put a price on memories. The hard part is both (granddaughter and son) claim the rifle when I'm gone.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 23, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Jim Watson

I have both types.
Gun A is a member of the family, not for sale.
Gun B might look similar, but offer to treble my money and you have a deal.
Old November 24, 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If someone offered three times value for my favorite shooter it would quickly have a new owner.
And I would be joyfully off shopping for a replacement, and doing my duty of supporting the gun industry.
A good cash offer, 3x the current market value, (not 3x what I paid for the gun) would get most of my guns.

It wouldn't get my first deer rifle, the Remington 600 my father gave me 40 years ago...it wouldn't get my Grandfather's Ithaca that has been in my family for 105 years now...not even close.

Sure, most of them are just "tools", but others are my last physical link with beloved family, now many years gone. And those, I will not sell.
Old November 24, 2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Paul B.

If I understand things correctly, in California doesn't even a face to face deal have to go through an FFL? Sounds like either someone trying to get a gun that would not be registered to him or an undercover type trying to see if the OP was willing to break the law. Just my very suspicious nature.
Paul B.
Old November 24, 2014, 12:42 PM   #12
smarquez

[QUOTE][If I understand things correctly, in California doesn't even a face to face deal have to go through an FFL? Sounds like either someone trying to get a gun that would not be registered to him or an undercover type trying to see if the OP was willing to break the law. Just my very suspicious nature.
Paul B./QUOTE]
True, no face to face sales/transfers. He can offer all he wants to me. My reply? If interested, "Sure", lets find a FFL to make the transaction. If he wants cash and carry, no deal.
Old November 24, 2014, 05:30 PM   #13
DennisCA

smarquez - you are correct CA doesn't allow FTF for modern firearms.
C&R's (guns that are 50+years old - however there are some that CA have banned). Even IF I had agreed - I would have taken him to the nearest gun store. He didn't strike me as an undercover cop.
Old November 24, 2014, 05:54 PM   #14
USMC 77-81

You would have did it properly DennisCA, I moved out of Ca 6 years ago to NO. Idaho. Even though I can sell FTF all day long I would insist on the transfer going through an FFL dealer.
Old November 24, 2014, 06:39 PM   #15
RIDE-RED 350r

(Quote 44 AMP)
A good cash offer, 3x the current market value, (not 3x what I paid for the gun) would get most of my guns.

It wouldn't get my first deer rifle, the Remington 600 my father gave me 40 years ago...it wouldn't get my Grandfather's Ithaca that has been in my family for 105 years now...not even close.

Sure, most of them are just "tools", but others are my last physical link with beloved family, now many years gone. And those, I will not sell.

Nail here... hammer in your hand... POW!! Right on the head!!

Beautiful FW Dennis! Tell him there are plenty others for sale on GB and such....I wouldn't have sold it either.

I just joined the m70 club with my first, a brand new SG in 338 WM. By far the nicest and highest quality long gun I have ever purchased.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:34 PM   #16
Scorch

I don't know. My situation is a little different, I guess. If someone offered me 3X what any of my guns was worth, I would sell. I have the guns I bought or built during my lifetime, and no pass-downs. And since I build rifles for a living, I could build my own replacement. With 3X the $$, I might even do it a little nicer!
Old November 27, 2014, 02:54 AM   #17
mattL46

I'm totally screwed then. Half of my collection is hand-me-down. Its about who they belonged to for me. A sako L46 Pre-vixen. A beautiful 98 Mauser. An 85 winchester. A 69A winchester. And an old (mostly) colt 1911. Hell I have an old high standard derringer that only half works (it only fires one barrel, that's half) but gramps liked it and enjoyed it. Wouldnt part with it. A good friend of mine has made many offers on the colt...I've always refused.