The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 9, 2014, 09:43 AM   #26
Mike40-11

Never forgot a gun going to the airport. But I do worry about knives and assorted "firearm accessories" mags, ammo, brass etc. Especially flying internationally or to/through Jersey, D.C, N.Y. and the like.

I don't have any segregated "flying luggage" and probably every bag I own has had guns ammo etc in it at one point or another. I am always very careful to completely empty the bag and search it thoroughly before packing for a flight.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:03 AM   #27
KSDeputy

How can people be this stupid

The courthouse where I worked as the first court security deputy they had, is now manned by about 10-12 deputies and a bomb detecting dog. The DA went through the metal detector with a 9mm in his briefcase. I believe he forgot he had it, as like an earlier post said when you carry a firearm all the time, you don't think about it. The newspaper printed the story, but as the chief law enforcement officer of the county, the DA did not charge himself with bringing the gun into the courthouse. I was working the metal detector one day when an elderly black man came through and set it off. I took him aside and used the wand on him. It went off over his pocket, I asked him what he had. He pulled out a cheap handgun he said he carried for protection. I told him to go put it in his car and then come back, which he did. I did not take the job to hassle old people who live in neighborhoods where they do need a gun for protection. I am very pro 2 A. Life NRA, GOA & LEAA. Member of KS State Rifle Assn.

Last edited by KSDeputy; November 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:10 AM   #28
WyMark

I don't think I could pack a bag for a flight and not notice a gun in it. For one thing that would mean that I was missing a gun, I don't have that many and know where all of them are. Another thing is I travel as small and light as possible, there just aren't any spare spaces in my duffel bag for a gun to get overlooked.

I have stuffed a pocket knife into a checked bag at the very last second a few times, though. If I realized I had a gun on me I'd either run back out to my truck and lock it up, or find a locker in the airport where I could secure it.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:32 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

attributed to Albert Einstein,

"only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not certain about the universe..."
Old November 10, 2014, 05:48 PM   #30
TailGator

My wife and I recently took a trip that involved stops in both DC and NYC. She took a small can of pepper spray by packing it in the checked bag for the airline trip and then carrying it with her on the ground. She remembered it was in her handbag after we turned in our rental car and walked into the terminal building, in time to re-stash it in the checked bag. Not sure how that would have gone otherwise.

Although . . . (I have told this before, so my apologies to those who have seen it previously) My daughter traveled to Germany with a keychain-sized pepper spray in plain view dangling from the outside of her carried backpack and no one said a word. On the way back, though, she packed the pepper spray and they confiscated her Tide pen from her purse.

So who knows if my wife would have been in trouble or not if she had not remembered the pepper spray at the last minute. Watch out for those laundry detergents, though.
Old November 11, 2014, 08:15 AM   #31
2ndsojourn

" ...they confiscated her Tide pen from her purse."

Ah, yes...the old gun in the Tide pen trick.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:53 AM   #32
KyJim

Quote:
My daughter traveled to Germany with a keychain-sized pepper spray in plain view . .
My wife had one confiscated.
Old November 12, 2014, 05:58 AM   #33
Brit

One trip to see people in the Town of Steyr, in Austria, and visiting the Glock plant in Deutsch-Wagram. I was living in Toronto at this time.

Due to last minute changes, I had to fly into Stuttgart, and do a lot of driving, but Fall in Germany? great time to be driving.

The young American Lady in front of me, at the Customs desk, was having a major problem understanding the English of the Officer.

She finally said "SXXX" and up ended her large purse, on the desk.
One of the items so dumped, a large pink Vibrator!

The young, very young Officer, poked it with his pencil, and said "Voss is Dass?"

I thought I was going to lose it! I could not get my breath, I was doubled over!

A Supervisor stepped over, older, perfect English, and it was sorted out, I handed over my Canadian Passport, my eyes were still leaking!

He said "Vunderbar" My reply "Ya Bistimpt" Not good on the spelling, basically "yes of course".

I bet that story was told, and retold!

Tags
confiscate , firearms , tsa