The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 6, 2010, 04:25 AM   #1
bamaranger

tree stand ques

I have a new Summit "open shot" tree stand that I was plenty excited about.

I picked it based on prior experience w/ an original Summit, its compatibility w/ bow hunting (no front bar) and light weight, yet high capacity rating, and some pretty good reviews from customers on the vendors website.

After some practice in the yard, and now my first hunt, I am teribbly disappointed. I am having real difficulty climbing w/ it. I cannot seem to get a sufficient "bite" on the tree, and multiple "up-downs_ gain me very little in height. It seems worse the larger the dia of the tree.

I hope Bss Pro will take it back, as I'm not happy. It is stable, portable and convenient to set up, but I cannot get the thing to climb readily.

Curious about anybody else's experience w/ this model or recent Summit 'stands, particularly w/ the cable back piece.??????
Old January 6, 2010, 05:40 AM   #2
youp

I have a Summit something or other with the cables. We have different trees up here. I prefer the green ash. It has good coarse bark that does not peel or slip. You have to pay attention to the cable on the way up. It may hang on the tree. Then you do not have a higher bite and end up fighting a windmill.
Old January 8, 2010, 01:15 AM   #3
bamaranger

That is exactly what seems to be happening. I re-viewed the video this AM and pondered greatly my experience last time out w/ it.

The more cable I had out, the more "droop" there was to the whole assembly and the less the cable moved in relation to the "bite" I was taking.

I noted in the video that Summit did not recommend climbing trees greater than 20" in dia. The tree that defeated me was way bigger than that. The tree I struggled up was slightly over 20". I also did not place my hands and forearms on the climber as they did in the demo.

I will try it some more. Perhaps I'll keep it yet.