The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2000, 10:36 PM   #1
BTR

I've got a scoped, bolt action .223. What edible game can be humanely taken with this round, by an inexperienced hunter?

Thanks.
Old October 27, 2000, 11:32 PM   #2
muleshoe

waskly wabbits

The .223 is a fine round for varmints of coyote size and down. I believe most states require a minimum of a .243/6mm for deer hunting, there's good reason for that.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old October 27, 2000, 11:41 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Basically, I agree with muleshoe. But, are you an inexperienced hunter, or inexperienced shooter? There's a difference.

If, for instance, you can reliably hit beer cans at 75 to 100 yards, offhand, you're better than the average shooter.

If you're hunting from a stand, that's less hunting than ambushing. I mean, you go and sit and wait and hope something good happens. If such be the case, and you limit yourself to shots within 50 yards, and don't get "buck fever", you can probably pop a deer between the eyes or in the ear and he/she will drop like a rock.

The problem with a .223 is that a bad hit means a wounded deer and maybe a suffering, lost deer--and that's a Bad Thing.

Again, skill level and shot placement make the difference.

A heavier bullet, loaded down a bit, is a great turkey load. Trouble is, turkeys are a lot harder to fool than deer.

Best regards, Art
Old October 28, 2000, 09:44 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No fan of the .223 on deer, but....

Here in Md a .223 is legal for deer. I know a few guys that hunt with ARs,take only excellent shot opportunities,and do OK. Ranges should be close, which isn't a problem here, and the heavier projectiles are best. And I'd stick to broadside shots, and any shot inserted within a rib or two of the shoulder crease should work.
Old October 28, 2000, 01:27 PM   #5
pawcatch

Some predator callers will use a .223 on a mountain lion whlie coyote hunting.I think the famous Gerry Blair has killed lions with a .223 while calling coyotes.