The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 15, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1
dylank0723

Need a little advice

Hey, I'm new on here but not new to firearms. I've got a colt 6920 I'm thinking about selling to fund either a pof or pws. Only problem is I've never sold a gun before except to friends and nobody's interested that I know personally. Lol I've bought plenty, but how should I go about selling it? What would y'all recommend? Thanks
Old April 15, 2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Sevens

Know going in that right now may be the -WORST- time in the history of man/time/space to get value in selling a used AR...

Plenty of options for selling but the state you live in has a lot to say about how many of those options are open to you (or how easy they may be for both parties...)

If you look at the classified area on this site, you'll see folks offering rifles for sale. Another venue is a state based or local discussion forum. Gunbroker, Armslist (yuck), gun show, bulletin board at local shooting ranges.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:15 PM   #3
TxWheels

You might check with some of the local gun stores in your area. We have 2 of them here that purchase used guns from their owners. Keep in mind you won't get as much for it due to the fact they are going to re-sell it and want to make a profit.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:18 PM   #4
dylank0723

I'm in NC. I was thinking trying to sell at a gun show or on a forum. Has 118 rounds through it. I saw on another forum that people ship to ffls. Would I have to ship it from my ffl to theirs or how would that work
Old April 15, 2015, 04:55 PM   #5
FITASC

If you sell and ship INTERstate (to a different state), the answer is yes. Legally, you can ship it directly to the FFL in the other state; however, some dealers will not accept shipments from a non-FFL, so make sure you mention you are not a FFL in your ad.
INTRAstate, (to someone in your own state) is not against Federal law, but it might be affected by your state law. Where I live it is not an issue.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; April 15, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
I'm in NC. I was thinking trying to sell at a gun show or on a forum. Has 118 rounds through it. I saw on another forum that people ship to ffls. Would I have to ship it from my ffl to theirs or how would that work
You can sell it face to face to another NC resident with no FFL or paperwork required.

You cannot ship it to them directly

You can sell to someone in another state if you ship it to an FFL where they reside
Old April 15, 2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Nathan

Likely you will get the best bang for your buck selling FTF on Armslist. . . .and you get to meet another internet gun lover. I like Armslist alot!
Old April 15, 2015, 08:53 PM   #8
dylank0723

Thanks guys
Old April 16, 2015, 10:31 AM   #9
g.willikers

It's amazing how many folks have bought ARs and AKs without having much actual use for them.
Can't imagine how many are just sitting unused, after the initial attraction has worn off.
Instead of just letting it collect dust or selling at a large loss, how about taking a carbine class (or two)?
With an actual purpose to having one, you might get a new appreciation for it.
Just a thought.
Old April 17, 2015, 03:36 PM   #10
dylank0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
It's amazing how many folks have bought ARs and AKs without having much actual use for them.
Can't imagine how many are just sitting unused, after the initial attraction has worn off.
Instead of just letting it collect dust or selling at a large loss, how about taking a carbine class (or two)?
With an actual purpose to having one, you might get a new appreciation for it.
Just a thought.
Not my only rifle, I love shooting, my others have a real good round count. Just wanting to try a piston and the colt was the least used.
Old April 17, 2015, 03:43 PM   #11
BarryLee

Visit some local gun shops and just see what they might give you for the gun. As mentioned earlier they may offer less than you want, but it will probably be the simplest and the quickest way to sell the gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 17, 2015, 04:23 PM   #12
Guilty

Resale price on AR15's is not great so be prepared to sell at a big loss. Pawn shops and gun shops would be the easiest place to sell, but you might only get $300-$400 or thereabouts. They need to resell and make a profit so don't expect to get a whole lot of love from them.

If you are a member of a local gun enthusiast forum, maybe you can meet somebody locally, in a very public place since you probably wouldn't know them. At least with local gun forums, you can check the buyers history of buying/selling to see if they are reputable. Armslist, IMO, stay away from there, too many unknowns.

You could also list to sell right here on the forum after you meet the selling guidelines, minimum amount of posts, etc. - Buy, Sell and Trade: Rifles and Shotguns: http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Shipping to a FFL is no problem, just specifying your advertisement that the buyers FFL must accept shipments from an individual. Don't forget about shipping costs, does your selling price include shipping or are you going to charge extra for shipping? If you go this route, be sure to send a copy of your drivers license and a note releasing the firearm from your ownership to the buyer so the FFL has records that you are the legal owner with picture ID.