The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1
pac.coastie

S&W 329PD

Anybody on here have first hand experience with a 4" model 329PD? my father-in-law carried a 4" 629 in .44MAG and i shot it a couple times with his hand-load bear rounds, which had quite the kick, i'm interested in the 329 but i'm worried with the upper-end ammo it wouldn't be very manageable, so i thought i'd ask for opinions?
i'd be using it for black/brown bear and home defence as range shooting and general bad-***ness
Old August 28, 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
totaldla

I have one and love it. I'm heading out with some 270gr fodder to burn a little gunpowder with it. Mine is always with me on the trail. I hope you find the following useful.

S&W329pd information
Old August 28, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
anzafrank

A frind has one with wood grips, and we both shot it w. mags. for a total of 2 shots each. That was 4 shots too many. Oh the pain! Change out the grips, and you will probably love it. Good for packing around bear's.

Frank
Old August 28, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4
dairycreek

I had a new 329PD about two years ago. Great carry gun and, of course, the recoil was something fierce. Just what you would expect from a 44 mag that is so light so no surprises there. However, the lock on the gun began to freeze rendering the gun inoperable. After a few shots the lock would just fail and keep the gun from operating. Sent it back to S &W and they returned it and pronounced it "fixed" but that was not the case. Problem kept recurring. Gun froze - S&W "fixed" it and it happened over again. Lost confidence in the gun and my dealer took it back and, after that, I don't know what happened to it. Great gun as long as it worked.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old August 28, 2010, 06:07 PM   #5
pac.coastie

totaldla that was useful thanks
dairycreek i assume that the ILS can be disabled the same as it can in a J-frame, is that so?

unfortunately i love the look of a blued/black revolver with light (ash wood, bone, stag) grips, i wonder if they make rubber grips that simulate a light-colored wood?
Old August 28, 2010, 10:50 PM   #6
totaldla

You can use the pretty wood grips if you invest in a good shooting glove. Wear the glove for practice. Recoil won't matter when you really need the gun.
Old August 29, 2010, 02:26 AM   #7
rjrivero

I have one and I carry it. It's a back up for bowhunting, mostly, but I have carried it on occasion in the winter. Recoil takes a little getting used to, but in a "need it now" kind of situtation, I doubt I would notice the recoil anyway.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Wolfeye

I don't know of any rubber grips made to simulate wood, but I've heard of guys putting x-frame Hogue grips or Pachmayr Decelerator grips on the 329 to cut back recoil. You can also get the barrel mag-na-ported, which helps with flip. I hear it doesn't affect the warrantee.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:45 PM   #9
pac.coastie

i don't know if i've got any good gunsmiths locally, how much does S&W charge to put the mag-na-porting in do you know? i've never used or looked into a shooting glove, what's a good brand to go with if i decide on that route?