The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2010, 04:24 PM   #26
ostrobothnian

Quote:
The 1911 was never designed or intended to have a trigger pull under 8 lbs from what I have read about them.
From the Kimber website...

Trigger: Premium Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

No way! You are killin me mr $100K Singer. In this day of lawsuits and litigation you'd think if the 8lb. trigger were the minimum that this company would be selling their pistols with at least a 16lb trigger pull.

I call BS once again.

And NO. Never had a slamfire.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:14 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Ok, get on your asbestos undies...

Quote:
The 1911 antique is the worst and most dangerous handgun ever designed.
If you truly believe this, you clearly have not learned enough about handgun designs and their history. In its day, the 1911 was one of the safest handguns available, particularly when compared to some of the guns being made and fielded in foreign countries.

Quote:
1911 's were made by Remington Rand, Singer, Ithaca and Colt
No, actually all 1911s were made by Colt. And, technically the guns made by Colt and sold on the civilian market were not 1911s, they were "Government Models". The guns made during WWII by Remington Rand, Singer, Ithaca, Colt, US S&S, etc were 1911A1s.

The bad rep so many 1911 pattern guns have today (unreliable, fire when dropped, etc...) is because so many of these guns have been "improved" by their makers, deviating from the original specs, sometimes quite drastically.
And the fact that so many people are simply not smarter than the gun.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:58 AM   #28
ostrobothnian

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...26525251041688

Massad has won many state and regional combat shooting championships, some with the 1911 .45 pistol, and is one of only seven Five-Gun Masters in IDPA. When Ed Brown Products, Inc. asked him what he would want in an ideal 1911 pistol for concealed carry, home defense, and even duty use, Ayoob picked the 4 ¼” barrel with the Bobtail frame as the ideal starting platform. Based on three decades of defending often false allegations of accidental discharges by his clients, he specified a 4.5 pound trigger pull, demanding a smooth stroke and a crisp let-off.

Last edited by JohnKSa; February 21, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ..
Old February 21, 2010, 05:52 PM   #29
Steam Boat

Yes, I have had a slam fire, I was due to a protruding primer on a reload. And had a 1911 go full auto caused by a filthy weapon, the firing pin stuck out of the breach face.

Tags
1911 , safety , slam fire