The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 1, 2006, 03:19 AM   #1
cannonballmount

When did the law change?

I'm a pistol shooter in the "sharpsshooter/expert" class, with a fondness for wheelguns in the field, especially "cap and ball".

Anyway I noticed not long ago, that black powder old style "irons" now have to go through the same FFL "hoops" that modern weapons have to. (?)

Seems like only a couple of years ago or so, black powder guns did not have to do this. When did it change? The change sure never had a lot of publicity...
Old March 1, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2
PinnedAndRecessed

I checked here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true

It seems it depends on which state you're in.

It had this disclaimer:

Quote:
ATTENTION: Residents of HI, IL, MA, MI, NJ, and NY please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any black-powder firearm.
Idaho isn't in there.
Old March 7, 2006, 02:17 AM   #3
cannonballmount

Thanks...

Your right. I was suprised when I was reading about online sales of cap and ball wheel guns from a company that required FFL from everyone ordering, I guess to avoid problems should someone from a restricted state buy one while out of state and get the dealer in trouble with the FEDS.

But it seems not long ago, none of the states had such restriction. When did it start?

Not good. When one state has such laws, the feds start leaning on all states to enact such laws, to make the restrictived states happy.

When George Washington was president, he got a law through congress that every US citizen was required to keep a firearm and 20 rounds of ammo on hand, The law is still on the books. What is wrong with some of some states courts and law enforcement people?