The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2005, 06:38 PM   #1
VonFatman

How much crimp on lead bullets?

38 Special:
I'm loading some 148gr SWC's and want to know how much crimp to use?

Another question...the bullets don't like to seat all the way into the cylinder unless I scrape the black crud/lube? off the end of the bullets...is it normal to have to scrape the crud?

I've seen SWC's before, and they set right to the edge of the case...in this instance, they extend out a bit in keeping with Lyman's manual's OAL...is this OK?

Thanks!!

Bob

A photo:

Old February 13, 2005, 12:07 AM   #2
rwilson452

The Crimp

The crimp should go all the way into the crimp slot on the bullet. if you crimp on a separate step from seating the crud problem should go away. Not a problem just an annoyance. A Lee factory crimp die can be had for not much cash and they work well.
Old February 13, 2005, 12:08 AM   #3
Throckmorton

The lube on the bullets is 1 of 2 things:ur bullet maker isn't very neat,or your seating die is in need of cleaning out.When u seat and crimp in one operation,the crimping action shaves lube and lead into the die.Over time it packs in there and then adheres to the bullets.
Haven't shot wadcutters,but I'd think that seating bullets too shallow is better than too deep...less pressure buildup vs/more pressure buildup.
If you're crimping into a crimping groove,just roll it in tight,but don't flatten the crimp.If no groove,just use the die as a taper=crimp and snug the mouth against the bullet .
Old February 13, 2005, 05:45 AM   #4
Quantrill

The above answers are on the ball. The only thing I would add is that the crimps MUST be consistent. Quantrill
Old February 13, 2005, 09:09 AM   #5
VonFatman

Thank you gents!

I am using a Dillon with Dillon dies which have a separate crimp die.

Since I have only run about 20 of these bullets thru the press, I am thinking it is pretty quick for the seater or crimp die to be crud'd up but imagine that must be the problem...thus, I'm guessing I have cruddy bullets. These may be homemade bullets (I suspect so).

Here's what I found out: I switched from my Model 49 to my snubbie M&P and has the same problem...could not close the cylinder without much effort to clean the edges of the exposed bullet. Then the cylinder would close and the gun would function...I had to stop from time-to-time to clean a bullet ot two to keep the gun functioning.

Then, I switched to my wives 15-4 and found no problems at all as the cylinder chamber(s) seemed larger and took the bullets in stride!

If I had not switched guns, I might have tossed the bullets.

There is no crimp groove on these bullets. Per your suggestions, I think I will back the crimp die off a bit to simulate the way I snug in my plated Rainiers (44 or 45) which also have no crimp groove. Sound like a plan?

I'm absolutly following the recommended OAL vs. the setback(s) I'd seen on other bullets.

I sure appreciate you all taking time to help me out.

Bob