The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2014, 01:55 PM   #1
buckweet

anyone here with a rem 1100 ?

i love all five of mine ..
here lately I've been shooting my grandads old 1100 16ga.
silly thing is over forty years old.. and still has never failed.
original o ring too .
i couldn't begins to try and figure out how many rounds has been fired in her .. but it's Alot.
have i told you how much i like my remington 1100s ?

yer' dawg ate my duck.......
Old January 11, 2014, 03:00 PM   #2
TheNatureBoy

I have a Remington 1100 12 ga. full choke. Its my go to shotgun :-) On the first day of the first time I ever went hunting, I killed a big 10 point/150 pound buck. It was also the first time I had ever seen a live deer, and the first time I had ever fired a shotgun. It was a Remington 1100.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; January 12, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 04:35 PM   #3
AKexpat

When I was a teen, I bought a Rem 1100 12 ga. 26" IC choke field grade as an upgrade to my first hunting shotgun, a Springfield Arms (think Stevens/Savage) 20ga. break open single shot (which my father later absconded with to make a .357 Max deer rifle with a Numrich Arms barrel).

I worked at Roberts Shooting Park (on a dairy farm wherein we had to walk the hayfields in search of unbroken clays among the cow patties from the manure spreader) (it is now the site of a community college) in Elkhorn, NE in 1969-70 setting and pulling trap and skeet. Best job I ever had that paid $1.50/hr.

I preferred to shoot skeet rather than trap. The 1100 shot flawlessly but I noticed I was slower with it than my friends who shot pumps (Win Mod 12 20 ga. with a LOUD Cutts Comp, Win 1300 12 ga., and a Mossberg 500 12 ga.). We would even shoot doubles from station 8 while practicing: high house clay overhead and low house clay like a high rabbit.

I persuaded my dad to take me to the LGS in Omaha and found a Rem 870 12 ga. w/ a 26" IC VR barrel and (after coming home to measure) it had a very high comb and heel height which allowed me to see the entire top of the barrel rib. Great wood for a field grade gun.

After much practice I found I could cycle it faster than a Rem 1100, and it was lighter and easier to maintain/check for safety as one doesn't have to take the hands from the firing position. The best shotgun I ever owned, and my Dad gave me a 16 ga. Model 12 FC field gun that, while very nice, did not work as well.

I kick my butt for ever selling it.

Sorry if I disagree.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
WardenWolf

Not a fan of the 1100. I'm a lefty. My dad's 1100 is a right-handed gun. When I fire it, it releases a concussive blast right in my face from the ejection port. It's the type of thing that leaves you briefly stunned. It also kicks like a mule.

I got a Saiga 12 for myself, tuned it up, and never looked back. At least with a fully locking bolt I know I'm not going to get backblast, and it ejects like a normal AK, forwards at a 45-degree angle.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:33 PM   #5
joe45c

I have both the 1100, and 1100 magnum. My 1100 is set up as a slug gun, with a rifled barrel and a scope. For the mag. I have a 26" steel shot barrel, and a IC 26" that I use for clays, it has 2 gas ports and cycles light loads.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
buckweet

wardenwolf :
remington did make left handed 1100s
I've shot just about every type/brand shotgun out there.
my remingtons are the sofest shooting shotgun I've ever fired.
you must not have been holding it correctly.. dunno ?

Old January 11, 2014, 06:48 PM   #7
JWT

Have had an 1100 Classic Trap for a number of years. I did have the stock modified with an adjustable comb because it slapped my face. Now I don't notice any recoil at all. Completely reliable. No problems of any kind. Just keep it clean and check the o ring.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:46 PM   #8
WardenWolf

Buckweet, it's possible there's a problem with my father's 1100 that's letting gas blow by the piston, as well. That would definitely account for the concussive blast and make recoil much nastier. His is an older gun that's never been fully disassembled. I frankly don't want to know what I'd find if I tried it.
Old January 11, 2014, 09:55 PM   #9
Virginian

I have owned thirteen 1100/11-87s since starting in 1963, and still own five. I have sold and worked on hundreds. Worst enemy is poor maintenance, and I don't mean you need a detail strip cleaning every 100 rounds. A quick 5 minute spray and wipe of the gas system parts will usually suffice with a deep cleaning once a year.
An 1100 in proper working order is one of the, if not the softest recoiling shotgun one can get. That heavy steel action tube has to come back faster than the rst of the gun, and that exerts a lot of anti recoil force.
I have run through many other semi autos and have yet to find another one I like nearly as well. They are not the best selling semi auto of all time and still in production after 53 years for nothing.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:04 PM   #10
buckweet

wardenwolf....
i understand.
(wishes i knew how to reply to your post)

i dont details mine out that often .. but like the Virginian says..
i wipe em down .. and keep them clean. very very simple and eazy to do.
less then five min .
shoot another 500
my better half iis lefft handed ..
so far ? she hadent any complaints .
i asked her if the shells flying by bothered her ..
her answer was :::what shells ?:::
so .. i dont know ..lol.

Old January 11, 2014, 11:39 PM   #11
ammo.crafter

Love my G-3. It's in 20ga with a 28" barrel.
I use it for sporting clays and is my go to gun for pheasant.

easy on the shoulder and a natural pointer, as well.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:08 AM   #12
colbad

My uncle gave me a used one back in 1982 when I was shooting on my college trap and skeet team. I had both a trap and skeet barrel for it. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I shot in college. After college I continued shooting in ATA events taking much money from those with the fancy expensive O/Us.

Once I was making some money I retired it from competition and bought a Beretta o/u combo. I still shoot skeet with it from time to time and it is like an old friend . After lord knows how many thousands of rounds over 32 years the only think I have ever changed are the O rings.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Biner

I've got an 1100 Special Field in 20 gauge, and it's my favorite shotgun out of the half dozen I own.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:52 AM   #14
g.willikers

I've only owned two brands of pickups, Ford and Chevy.
And only two brands of shotguns, Mossberg 500 and Remington 1100.
Never found a reason to buy anything else.
Old January 12, 2014, 10:38 AM   #15
shortwave

Have had many and currently down to two. Sons and brothers ended up with the others.

The ones I currently own are a reg. 1100 in which I've had for about 30yrs. Its has an unknown amount of rds. through it. Will shoot soft target loads as well as slugs and is proven enough to be my HD shotgun as well.
A magnum which I've had about 15 yrs. that has yet to fail me.

As has been said, simply the softest recoiling shotguns I've shot and surely the softest of all the shotguns I own.

WardenWolf,

Don't know why your fathers is recoiling harshly.

Is it cycling properly?

Here are very good instructions on a complete cleaning of the 1100:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5XvGsBwYVc

There are many more vids. on the net as well.

Not that difficult at all and if the shotgun has not been cleaned in a long time a thorough cleaning will surely smooth out the overall operation of the shotgun.

Pay particular attention to the way the compression rings go on the tube.
Inspect the o-ring and if it's stiff, brittle or has cracks in it, replace it.
And don't over oil.

The exhaust ports in the barrel need cleaned as well. A very good way to insure the ports are free of carbon is to clean them with a drill bit. Twisting the bit by hand cutting the carbon. The ports are different sizes on different bbls so look here to get your drill bit size:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...46271&p=337269

I know you moved on to a Saiga, but I bet dad would greatly appreciate you cleaning it for him. Will most likely be like a new shotgun for him.

Last edited by shortwave; January 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:02 AM   #16
old roper

I've got 3 of them 12ga mag,28ga and 410 and have 20ga/16ga in model 12.
NRA Life Member
Old January 12, 2014, 11:34 AM   #17
WardenWolf

I would, but I very honestly doubt my dad will ever use it again. He's 70 years old now, and doesn't shoot much to begin with. The only time he ever went to the range or hunting was with me, and I've since moved to the other side of the country. Most likely I'll just wait until I inherit it. It's not worth it to me to spend hours on a gun that will likely never even make it to the range for testing.

It feeds and ejects just fine. Very reliable. Never a hiccup. Just it's unpleasant for me to shoot. My father doesn't seem to mind it, but I do, and I shoot large-caliber rifles.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Fugit1ve Wizard

I bought a model 11-48 12ga that had been cut off at 18" and had an extended tube which held 6 rounds. It was a nice shooter but I decided to sell because of the complicated disassembly.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:23 PM   #19
shortwave

Gotcha!

Might make a nice heirloom in the future for a right handed shooter in the family.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:38 PM   #20
buckweet

wardenwolf
good luck with it ..
i hope someday you'll find a lefty ..