The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 1, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
ArizonaRick

Chauchat CSRG in 30-06 Receiver?

A friend's grandfather past away and had a Chauchat CSRG in 30-06 with a welded plug in the barrel that qualified as a De-mill at the time. The ATF says the reciever must be torch cut in two places if he wants to keep the gun. Can someone tell me what the ATF considers the receiver on the Chauchat (the ATF would not tell me). Also, does anyone have a ball park price of what the parts on this gun are worth, less the reciever (it's complete, no rust, 1917 mfg, with magazine, only dropped once)??
Old February 1, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Link:
http://fullautofun.homestead.com/page36.html
scroll down to DEWAT

Was this an ATF form 5 papered DEWAT from 1968 or prior, or just an "improperly" demilled gun with no papers at all?

If it's on a Form 5, and was registered as a DEWAT MG prior to the 68 amnesty, then it's possible that it can be put on a tax paid Form 1 and reactivated as an MG, since it was already an MG prior to 1986.

I'm guessing it's the latter though from what ATF says.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The receiver would be the part that holds the bolt and firing mechanism. I think cutting the receiver in two places and destroying the part between would be adequate, but I am not BATFE. Since they would have to approve any such "demilling", they should be able to say what they would approve and draw a picture. If they can't or won't do that, he should tell whomever he is talking to that he wants an opinion from the Technical Division at BATFE HQ. I have found those folks reasonable, unlike some field agents who have little knowledge of guns and simply like to push people around.

I assume the gun is not registered, and they probably feel they are being very nice to allow the gun to be demilled and not just confiscate it. So who has the gun now? I assume BATFE or a PD. What contacts has he had with BATFE? Has BATFE checked their records to be sure it is not registered? Has he looked for registration papers among his grandfather's effects?

Jim
Old February 16, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
ArizonaRick

The owner has now torch cut the receiver into many small pieces and has dicarded them. He would like to sell the remaining parts if that is possible. The gun was complete including magazine and bi-pod. What is the best way to sell these parts? Should they be sold as a complete set or piece-meal? Any suggestions would be helpful
Old February 16, 2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Put them up for sale in one lot. If that doesn't work, sell pieces. A complete parts kit is worth more to someone who would like to build something from it.

If you sell the barrel or something important you may wind up with a pile of small parts nobody wants.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
ArizonaRick

OK to sell parts

Are there any issues selling the parts on line? Stock, bi-pod, mag, bolt? Are there any states they cannot be shipped to?
Old February 26, 2012, 11:23 AM   #7
oprod

Chauchat

Pm sent last week, no response
Old February 26, 2012, 10:10 PM   #8
dbar1918

Chauchat stuff

Please send me a PM regarding the Chauchat parts, etc.

Dave Stieghan
david.stieghan@att,net