The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 27, 2002, 12:18 AM   #1
Jamie Young

Have any of you ever killed on suspicion of rabies?

A few nights ago I was letting My cat in the back door. As soon as I opened the door, I heard a really unique animal sound. My Cat started doing the old weerroooowwww weerooooow and then out of know where a fox darted out of My garden and about 15yds in front of me. I thought it was My cat, at first, but It scared the _______ out of me when I saw it wasn't a cat. I know I'm coward for being scared of a fox at 5am, but, it totally caught me off guard.

I have a park right behind My house and on more than one occasion I've seen critters jump out of My trash can,or My neighbors. My cat is rarely outside but from time to time he gets in fights with the neighborhood ally cats. This last time was with a fox If My cat were to ever cross paths with a racoon,I'd probable blast it.

Other than hunting for food I don't like to kill things. But there's another time to kill.

Have any of you ever taken racoon or coyotes suspecting they had rabies?
Old May 27, 2002, 12:30 AM   #2

Yes.
In 1979 I was out shooting with two other guys. A red fox came out of the woods and was running right towards us. I figured that #1 it isn't natural for a fox to run toward humans #2 it is even less natural when there is a whole lot of gunfire.
I shot it right between the eyes with a .22 rifle. I then sold the pelt to a fur buyer for $80. While I was in the fur buyers place of business, I bought a knife that I still use everytime I am hunting.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 27, 2002, 01:14 AM   #3
Jamie Young

I never saw a fox dart right at me either. I know as long as I didn't miss and freak out all the neighbors I could get away with it. But if I missed the'd probable think I was drunk and didn't see anything
Old May 27, 2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One time while deer hunting I came upon a fox which just stood and looked at me from some twenty feet away. He was foamy at the mouth. I shot him and took the carcass to the state health department lab--and he wasn't rabid.

However, when I see really unusual behavior and an indication of disease of any kind, at the worst I'm probably ending some sort of misery.

Hey, I'd rather get a .30-'06 in the head than spend four months of tubes and anti-pain-drugs in a hospital, waiting to die.

Art
Old May 27, 2002, 11:49 AM   #5
Jamie Young

Is it just an urban myth that racoons have it more than other animals? Where is it picked up from?
Old May 27, 2002, 09:12 PM   #6
Peter Gun

Raccoons definetly carry rabies, but not all of them. Rabies has recently become a big problem here (VT), especially raccoons. The police shoot about one a week in my town and almost all tested pos. They were shot because they displayed erratic behavior. I think raccoons are so well known as rabies carriers because the behavior diff is so noticeable. When rabid, they quickly display extreme aggression, daylite wandering, foaming, and dragging their heads on the ground (end stage). Usually here in rural areas, they are pretty stealthy, so if they are rabid it's pretty obvious. I won't hesitate to shoot a raccoon that appears rabid. Think of it as saving all the other raccoons. And I don't know how they pick it up, but I would guess from the rodents they eat.
Old May 27, 2002, 10:10 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

As I recall.... Skunks can carry it for quite a while before showing symptoms.

Sam
Old May 27, 2002, 10:29 PM   #8
Jamie Young

I've never heard of Deer or Bear getting rabies. I suppose they could. I know of some Game Commission guys taking deer that were sickly, but not from rabies.

Seems like diseases are showing up more and more in animals, now that they seemed to have adapted to their urban environments. One of the best reasons for hunting, is controlling population, thus... preventing disease. Something the anti-hunters need to think about.
Old May 27, 2002, 10:58 PM   #9
Big Red

rabies

Here in rural Wisconsin we've had a few rabid animals come into the yard. I shot one about a month ago. Got to within 20 feet of it and it never noticed me. General rule of thumb around here, if it's out in the open in broad daylight and it doesn't run away don't take any chances, put it out of it's misery.
Old May 28, 2002, 01:49 PM   #10
redneck

This may sound harsh but I shoot any raccoon, on sight , given the opportunity, same goes for all other varmint/pest animals like ground hogs, possum etc.
I like animals and think its great to see them in the wild. But you have to remember that they can be destructive and disease ridden. I'm not saying I would shoot a raccoon if I was out in the woods somewhere hunting and spooked one up. But around the farm, they've got to go.
To many neighbors around here poorly manage their trash, pet food, buildings, yards/fields etc. and it has caused the raccoon population to skyrocket, not to mention the fact that some of the morons like to feed them. They ruin hay and straw making nests and ****ting all over it and make a general mess of buildings, they will completely destroy a field of sweet corn in one night once its ripe. Not to mention the unpleasant surprise of picking up a bale of hay and finding you've just uncovered a nest, and have inadvertanly cornered a mother and babies. Combine that with the disease factor. The behavior of a sick animal (aggression etc.) makes them a hazard especially towards pets or unknowing youngsters.
Possums pose the same problems but aren't nearly as common around here. And even though the climbing population of coyotes has mostly taken care of ground hogs, their holes are hell on farm equipment and tractor tires.
The population has to be mananged, and my shooting them won't even put a dent in it, but it does prevent a lot lot of possible problems.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:43 AM   #11
Jamie Young

I don't have a problem with that. I started bear hunting only after My friend was charged by one, standing at the back door of his cabin. Sometimes you just have to control animal populations for disease and safety reasons.

Same goes for mountain lions and coyotes. Especially if you have livestock you have to protect.
Old May 29, 2002, 08:25 AM   #12
Jarvo71

About a month ago my father shot a coyote that would not run away from him. The story that I got follows:
Dad was working at that shop(farm in rural west Texas), and his dog would not stop barking at his scrap iron trailers. These trailers have wire bottoms with pieces of old farm equiptment piled on them. He finally went out to investigate and saw a coyote laying (lying, whichever) beneath one of them. This is about 75 yds from where he has been hammering, welding, cutting, and generally being loud. It never moved at this point, which is not that odd because it may have just thought that it was hidden. He went up to the house and pulled out his 22 pistol(odd choice, he has a 357 in the pickup, and a safe full of guns in the house, no rifle because the dog is gunshy, she wont come out for at least an hour after gunfire) and proceeds back out to the trailer half expecting the coyote to have left. It was still in the same spot. He walked closer, hoping it would get out from under the trailer so he would not have to drag it out. It never moved. Now the story gets a bit odd. He shot once near it, still no reaction other than to look at him. He then climbed on the trailer and jumped up and down right over the coyote. It still just staired. Instead for just shooting it, he went in and called the local vet to see what to do. The vet said shoot it and bring it in for testing. Dad already knew this, I dont know what he was thinking. So he went back out and shot it, took it to town, and had it tested. It came back completely healty.
Sorry about the length, just an interesting story that I probably made boring with length.
Jared
Old May 30, 2002, 07:59 PM   #13
Greybeard

Skunks are one of the biggest carriers of rabies here. Our county has led the state in recent years in confirmed cases. Coons and coyotes in the mix. Even had a horse confirmed and put down.

Last fall I had a skunk come scrambling out of the woods toward me and a 1000 watt flood light that I had just turned on. Don't even remember getting the snub .38 out of ankle holster, but clearly recall sight picture as first JHP winged him at about 5 yards, at which time he decided to turn broadside ... Called county animal control the next morning, told the gal who answered that I had killed an unusual-acting skunk. I asked if they wanted to pick it up and check it for rabies or should I just bury it. The girl put me hold for about 30 seconds and came back with "You have permission to bury it." :barf:
Old May 30, 2002, 09:46 PM   #14
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Bats are a known carrier of rabies and are fairly rare in this neck of the woods. I entered my old barn/shed/reloading room (that Hurricane Andrew re-modeled for me) one day and there was a bat on the rafters. The first one I ever saw here. I popped him with a .22LR "rat shot", and picked him up with a small stick. I then buried him and the stick......................was he healthy or diseased? DIIK. (Dammed If I know) . I do know he was grave yard dead after that load of #12 shot.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:57 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

About the only way you can get rabies from a bat is to stir up dust in a cave in which they roost, and inhale deeply and often. You really have to work at it. Bats are carriers, but they don't bite people or other mammals...And they eat their own weight in insects, most nights.

Art
Old May 31, 2002, 12:40 AM   #16
Zorro

I have had the fun of going thru the shots, shoot when in doubt.

It's not true that skunks are the biggest carriers, Raccoons are.

Look up any list of Rabies found most anywhere and you will find about 99-98% "Raccoon" Phenotype and msot of the rest "Other."

Even most all skunks with rabies got it from a raccoon.

The cat that nailed me had the Raccoon type and blood tests confirmed I did get infected.

And belive me the shots, a lot of them, really hurt!

The 3 shot series you can get before you are bitten are just normal shots.
Old June 1, 2002, 04:52 PM   #17
swampgator

Zorro,

When did you have the series? They've come along way recently, I think it's three shots in any muscle. A K-9 officer I worked with was scratched by a rabid fox and had to have the series. I think he took his shots in the thigh.

In Florida the biggest carriers of rabies are racoon and fox. Don't know the stats for opossum. But do know that there are no recoded cases for squirrels (in Florida).
Old June 1, 2002, 05:31 PM   #18
DFBonnett

Have any of you ever killed on suspicion of rabies?

Absolutely, and I would do the same again given the circumstances.
Old June 1, 2002, 06:00 PM   #19
Jamie Young

My Dad was bitten by a rabid dog when he was in the Peace Corp in India. He had to get shots in the stomach.
Old June 1, 2002, 09:46 PM   #20
prescott

There is no shame in killing a sick or injured animal.
Old June 2, 2002, 01:58 AM   #21
Bwana Earl

Killing Possibly Rabid Animals

Our hunting club met with the area Game and Fish Biologist just today. He clearly and emphatically stated that on our lease, and anywhere else in the state, we should kill every fox, coon, bobcat, possum, coyote, skunk and other varmit we see. Because the fur market is dead they are overpopulating and rabies is only a small part of the problem. Turkey, quail and Canadian goose eggs and hatchlings as well as whitetail fawns are suffering huge losses because trapping is essentially a losing proposition.
He said to ignore all seasons, limits, etc as these are political and slow to change. He said no officer will challenge you unless you put your picture in the paper or try to illegally sell the pelts.
I know several enforcement officers who are not so practical minded, so I will be more than discreet.
Most of the enforcement officers I know have a serious attitude problem. They are very frustrated because the serious offenders and poachers are almost impossible to nab in these vast rural areas. One actually came to my house and informed me that he had investigated an illegal dumping situation on some public hunting land and had traced a credit card ticket he found in the trash to my credit card. He had determined that it was not me nor my wife who dumped the trash, but the real offender was in the military and had moved out of state and was therefore unavailable for arrest. He said he had enough evidence to charge ME (even though my wife signed the ticket). My other credit card charges even proved that both my wife and I were out of the country on a mission trip with a church group when the actual dumping occurred.
Here is the kicker. Because he had spent so much time and trouble on this case, he was going to issue ME a warning ticket. It would look bad at the office if he spent this much time and didn't get any results. And I should be grateful because he could write a real ticket and then I would have to get a lawyer and go to court or pay the fine and get points assesed against me toward losing my hunting rights!
He doesn't know how it happened, but I did even the score with him.
I think I got off the subject here. Sorry.
B. E.
John 3:16
2nd Amendment
Any Questions?
Old June 2, 2002, 03:23 AM   #22
Jamie Young

4:16am Pennyslvania time:

As I am sitting here logged onto TFL, I hear the sound of a plastic trash can lid hitting the ground. I look just looked out the 2nd floor window of My home, with a flash light, and couldn't see what was out there. I went back and grabbed My Night Owl optics and low and behold I picked up a racoon in My neighbors trash can. If I walked out the back door of My home right now I would be within 3ft of that racoon. I'm starting to think Its time to move the trash cans away from the house.

First a fox then a racoon.
Old June 2, 2002, 09:46 AM   #23
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Bwana Earl,

It's jackasses like that wildlife officer on the trash dumping case that give all of them a bad name.

We had one like that here (he was possibly worse). His pride and joy stack of cleaned and planed cypress lumber got burned to the ground, he was hung upside down naked from a tree overnight and had to spend 3 or 4 days in the hospital recovering from that and the insect bites he suffered, and now from some of the talk I hear around here there are several people that have promised(not threatened but promised) that if they ever catch him in a position that will allow it he is dead meat.

Why? The same reasons .................... trumped up, groundless charges on innocent people that they eventually were fined for.

The pity of it is if I saw something happening as the whispers suggest I would not do a damn thing to stop it.

Now for the good part. There are many fine officers out there, and I know of some personally that have stopped the above mentioned jaclkass from pulling other stunts that were as bad or worse than the ones mentioned. We need more officers like those and less than the bad type.
Old June 3, 2002, 11:15 AM   #24
scotjute

YEs, once shot a raccoon that was walking around the woods at 9 AM in a sort-of-weird way and had flies buzzing around his head.
Never did know if he actually had anything.
One of the bad outcomes of PETA and others throwing paint on people who wear fur has been a depression in the price of fur with the result that not many people trap them now and their population has sky-rocketed. Increased Outbreaks of rabies should be a trend that follows.
Old June 5, 2002, 03:44 PM   #25
k in AR

Just once, a raccoon, kept sticking his head through fence and you can imagine how the dogs liked that at 2 in the morning... anyway, the stupid thing wouldn't even run from me & acted drunk. Needless to say, "wife bring the gun" & she did & I did!

We live in way out in the woods of AR., and while I hunt for deer and small "dinner" game I don't just shoot critters for the fun of it (Wife'y rule <Laugh>). BUT, (and this is a big "but") when they don't act right (natural), then I'm not taking any chances.
Havent had any problems (so far) this year. However, Arkansas is having a record number of Rabies cases around the state, so I'm loaded & ready. k