The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Double Impact

what do think

How many rds is to many , enough or not enough to carry.

When I carry a sig p220 with 8+1 I carry i extra mag with 8 rds, when I carry a glock 13+1 and one mag with 13 rds and when a 1911 same as sig.

Am I in your opinion carrying to much ammo or not enough just right what.

What do you carry as far as ammo count?
Old January 31, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
CTS

I never carry any more than the gun will hold but that's just me. There is nothing wrong with carrying what ever you are comfortable with.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Jimboski

depends on the situation, I keep a full one in gun, and a full one in holster's mag holder. Will it be enough?, probably if confronted with up to 2-3 attackers (many possible details aside i.e. distance, movement etc.), will it be enough to defeat a well armed mob in 2-3 vehicles? Probly not . but its what I carry (better than nothing). So I say carry as much as you want, and are able to as you wish. (thumbs up)

BTW I speak of a Glock 26 with pearce grip/capacity extentions on each mag.
Oh, and that makes round count 26+1 tho' I have managed to push an extra round down into one of the mags.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Skans

7-8 rounds is fine for carry. If you are going to be somewhere where you think you may be attacked by a mob, then you really need an AK, not a pistol.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
BigJimP

8 + 1 in the gun ( in a 1911 ) is all I ever carry....

The scenarios on mobs, multiple attackers, etc....are over-rated in my view. Even if you have 3 or 4 attackers...if you kill the one closest to you first, chances are pretty high, the others will run - even if they are armed. Besides, that still leaves me 7 rds ( after I kill the head mutt )...

If I wanted to carry a gun like a Sig 226 ( and a standard mag held 12 or 15 - depends on caliber - then I'd carry it will a full mag plus 1 )....
Old January 31, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
manta49

We have had this discussion before. When asked on this forum why people carry firearms even tough the chance of ever needing to use it are very slim. The standard answer is just in case. So i don't understand why when asked do they carry extra ammo some responses are 2 or 3 shots should be enough. What happened to just in case. PS You will never here someone complaining that they had to much ammo at a gun fight. But they won't be happy if they haven't enough if they survive.

Quote:
7-8 rounds is fine for carry. If you are going to be somewhere where you think you may be attacked by a mob, then you really need an AK, not a pistol.
Eight rounds can go very quickly. You don't need to be attacked by a mob.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
Eight rounds can go very quickly. You don't need to be attacked by a mob.
If I could find a gun the size of an LC9 that holds 30 rounds of 9mm and fits inside my pants pocket, I'd buy that. But, since they don't, 7-8 rounds is better than 0.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:58 PM   #8
TailGator

One answer that comes up frequently in these threads - and one to which I ascribe quite a bit of validity - is that a spare magazine is a solution to many types of pistol failures. I carry a spare for that reason as much as for the extra rounds.

But it might have been Mass Ayoob who said something to the effect that anyone who carries fewer rounds than me is foolish and anyone who carries more is paranoid. Tongue planted firmly in cheek, of course.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:59 PM   #9
bigghoss

I don't care what gun I'm carrying I carry 2 mags. Faulty mags are the most common cause of malfunctions on an auto and having more ammo is never a bad thing.

You could always check the crime reports for your area and see what is common for where you live. I've never heard of a law-abiding citizen getting in an extended gun fight requiring multiple reloads but at the same time it's absolutely no extra trouble or effort on my part to carry a double mag pouch on my belt. YMMV
Old January 31, 2013, 05:33 PM   #10
manta49

Quote:
If I could find a gun the size of an LC9 that holds 30 rounds of 9mm and fits inside my pants pocket, I'd buy that. But, since they don't, 7-8 rounds is better than 0.
A extra mag perhaps.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:58 PM   #11
whippoorwill

Only YOU know what sort of situations you're likely to encounter. In my everyday life, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd need more than 7-8 in my 1911. Probability-wise, I'll never need those. However, if I lived in a part of town recognized as "dangerous", I'd probably carry another magazine, or a BUG. Most who carry extra rounds will find that when all is said and done, they're just been taking the cartridges out for a walk everyday. But, there's nothing wrong with that if it makes them feel safer. It's every individual's call.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
twobit

The only times that you could have too much ammunition is if you are on fire, or if you are drowning.

or

any ammo not expended by the end of shift was ammo you did not need
Old February 1, 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
dstryr

Quote:
And if you are going somewhere where you have to worry about a mob, why are you even going?

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old February 1, 2013, 09:06 PM   #14
David White

I carry the FS S&W M&P .40 cal. I have 15 + 1 in the gun and two extra mags at all times.
I would think that 46 rounds should do the job (I hope!).
Old February 1, 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
ttarp

I survived up until I got my carry license with 0. The way I see it even a single shot derringer is such a big advantage over nothing that it doesn't really matter. Carry as much as you are comfortable with. If you want to be prepared for an extended firefight, do so, but I think the important thing is having a gun in the first place.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:35 PM   #16
jon_in_wv

You will never die because you were carrying one spare magazine too many. Carry as much as you are comfortable with.

I normally carry my M&P 9C with one spare mag and a 17 rounder in my car. I carry my 3913 with one spare mag, sometimes two. If I'm going out with the wife I carry my BG380 in leiu of the spare mag for the 9C. I figure the ability to arm my wife is more useful than a second magazine. In the winter I might carry the 380 and the spare mag.

Remember the spare mag isn't just about needing more ammo. The chances you will run your gun empty and need to reload are very slim under normal circumstances. The real benefit is the case where your weapon magazine becomes disabled. End plates are sometimes plastic and can break or even a metal one can slide off disabling the magazine the magazine completely. Of all the parts breakages or failures your weapon could experience I would say a magazine failure would be the most likely and its one you can actually remedy IF you have a spare.

Last edited by jon_in_wv; February 1, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:56 PM   #17
timn8er

Better safe than sorry, I guess. Realistically, how many shots do you think
you'll be able to get off in a self defense situation? No way to know.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
And if you are going somewhere where you have to worry about a mob, why are you even going?
Some people own stores, buildings, etc. in busy parts of a city. Bad things can happen for little or no reason at all - AK's, AR's and large capacity shotguns are great defense tools for riots. In that case, a small carry gun won't cut it. But, then again there's a BIG difference between being out and about and having to defend yourself, and guarding your own home/business against rioting mobs.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Skans

On the topic of spare magazines. I refuse to carry a spare magazine - it makes carrying a hand gun that much more difficult for me and its one more thing to to keep track of that can get lost.

Currently, before I leave the house I have to remember to have with me:

1. Gym bag with gym clothes
2. cell phone
3. wallet
4. keys
6. gun.

Enough is enough! I thought about inventing a cell phone that can replace the grips in my pistol, but answering a call might alarm some folks.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:03 AM   #20
gpjoe

To me, it's a personal decision and the responses here bear that out.

With my semi-autos (ususally a 1911) I don't carry any spare ammo. For some reason, with my 5-shot revolvers I often carry a speed strip. It's not that I feel under-gunned with the revolvers, but probably because the speed strip is much smaller than a spare mag and I can just toss it in my pocket and not even know it's there.

But as many have already stated - it's really a matter for you to decide, based on your own comfort level.