The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
roy reali

Special Gun Buy

Has anyone here purchased a gun specifically for a hunt? I did many years ago.

I wanted to go boar hunting in Northern California. After some research I signed up with this guide. I decided to use one when because I had no experience pig hunting. I also wanted to increase my odds and I chose an outfitter that used dogs. During one of our phone conversations he said that scopes were not allowed. He said that the range would be very short and the hair in ones scope might be that of a dog. Shooting one of their dog's would be frowned on.

Anyway, all my rifles at that time were scoped. Not only that, they were all dialed in and I didn't want to start that process over. So I decided to go check out the rifles at a gun shop in the area. I saw a neat little single shot rifle. The saleperson told me it was a New England Handi-Rifle chambered in .45-70. I purchased the gun, some ammo, and all the reloading componenets I would need.

I did get the pig. One 350 grain bullet behind her ear at twenty feet dropped her on the spot.I still have the rifle. It is one of my favorites.

So, who else had purchased a gun solelfor a specific hunt?
Old September 8, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Hoskins

Yes & no. I just bought a Savage 10FP in .308 for long range shooting & for coyote hunting. I have never coyote hunted, but am going to get into it. Additionally, I will use the Savage for deer hunting as well.

My dad has either bought me or gave me all of my centerfire rifles except for my Savage 10FP & my Rock River Arms M4.

My 30.06 Winchester Model 70 is my go-to deer rifle in most situations.

My 7mm REM MAG Winchester Model 70 is used for deer hunting when the target might be at extended ranges or any other long range larger game situations. Basically when hunting over bean fields & such.

My son's .243 Winchester Model 70 is used for his deer hunting and/or future coyote hunting ventures.

Last but not least, my Marlin .444 lever action is used for hunting in dense forrest or for larger gamesuch as bear, boar, etc... I've never bear hunted, but this will change this year.
Old September 10, 2010, 01:19 PM   #3
jcjr3020

I bought my Hi-point 995 carbine just huning that pesky paper. That stuff is running ramped at the range, popping up everywhere.
Old September 10, 2010, 03:11 PM   #4
trooper3385

I bought a Browning A Bolt in a 300 win mag about 3 years ago to go on a plains game hunt to Africa. I had some other rifles that would have done the job just fine, 7mm weatherby mag, 308, 7mm rem mag, 270, but it gave me a good excuse with my wife to buy a new gun. I got a heck of a deal on it also. It was used, but Browning A Bolt, stainless, Leupold VXIII for $500. Anyway, I took it to Africa and it performed great. I took 6 animals with it and a friend took 4 with it and the majority of the shots were right around 300 yds and further.
Old September 11, 2010, 03:52 AM   #5
troy_mclure

i was home on leave during late muzzloader season. as i had gotten rid of my t/c hawken, i had no gun to hunt with.

so i went out and bought a knight wolverine, box of pyrodex pellets, pack of sabbots, and 50 .44 golddot bullets.

ive gotten many deer with that gun since!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."