The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 3, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1
jbaham

marlin 1895mxlr 450 marlin

I just purchased this gun yesterday and am wondering if these are good guns and I am planning on using it for bear hunting and the wild boar hunt I am going on I am wondering if this would be okay for deer or not as well. Also what is the felt recoil comparable. It has the pachmyr decelerator pad as well.

thanks

jbaham
Old September 3, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
300magman

I think that should be a near ideal bear/boar gun. It packs a big hit, but its not a meet destroyer, for the same reason it will work well on deer with lighter weight bullets, or so I've heard.
Having not fired a big bore mxlr yet I can't say for certain how the recoil will feel, but based on speed and weight of projectile and firearm it shouldn't be too harsh with a good pad...more of a big push than a sharp hit.
If you have ever fired a shotgun of similar weight to your marlin with a similar recoil pad it would resemble it closely with a 3/4oz slug ... much more so than something like the sudden "slam" of a stout 30.06, or 300mag.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Old Time Hunter

Absolutely great guns. Make sure you practice alot before taking it hunting, especially off a bench.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
azredhawk44

Quote:
Make sure you practice alot before taking it hunting, especially off a bench.
By "off a bench" you mean "away from a bench," right?

Not "shooting off of a bench?"

.450 marlin is a thumper of a cartridge. If you lean forward on a bench and have the buttstock resting anywhere near your collarbone, it can break it. These big cartridges should not be shot from a bench or from prone (prone puts the heel of the buttstock near the junction of your collarbone and shoulder socket) without understanding of their potential abuse to your body.

I've got one in the safe.

Just trying to clarify for the original poster.
Old September 3, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
jbaham

thanks for all your help guys. I have fired 12 ga slug guns a lot. I will practice a lot as well.

thanks for all the help
Old September 4, 2010, 01:05 AM   #6
BfloBill

If you are used to 12 ga slugs recoil will be no problem. I use my .450 on whitetails and love it, you'll be happy with how it performs in the woods.

By the way, if you are not going to scope it, I would suggest a good peep sight instead of the factory rear sight.