The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2014, 05:09 PM   #1
ChileVerde1

Suggestion for ghost rings for SW 3000 Shotguns

Hello, I'd like to install Ghost Ring sights on my SW 3000 shotguns. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with these, but they were extremely well made. They were manufactured for SW by a Japanese firm (Howa or Miroku?). They appear to be copies of or very close to the venerable 870 with steel receivers etc… The reciever contour appears similar to the 870 and I'd like some help or suggestions/referral to a good set of sights and a competent smith to install them. I don't have the equipment to do it myself. I like the Wilson/Scattergun Technologies sights? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks,

Chile
Old January 17, 2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The S&W 3000 was made by Howa of Japan.
After S&W dropped it, it was sold by Mossberg for a couple of years also as the Model 3000.

Wilson/Scattergun sights should fit on with no problems.
Due to the uncertainty lately of finding a qualified gunsmith who can drill and tap the receiver and mount the front sight without botching it, I'd recommend sending it in to Wilson and let them do the work.
That way you know it'll be done right.

Since your gun is not a pistol, shipping charges will be much lower, and you can mail the gun through the US Postal Service, or UPS and Fed-Ex.
Wilson can ship the gun directly back to you.
Old January 18, 2014, 03:56 AM   #3
ChileVerde1

Thank you for the info and the quick response. I had had those same thoughts and called them. They quoted me around $80 for the install if they were able to do it. Well that settles it, thanks again! - Art