The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 29, 2012, 06:44 AM   #1
rebs

Henry rifle cal. ?

I have a Henry Golden Boy 22 and love it. Now I want another Henry and can't decide between a 357 mag or 44 mag. The majority of its use will be a range plinking gun.
Which would you guys recommend ?
Old August 29, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2
FloridaVeteran

First questions: do you plan to reload or shoot mainly off-the-shelf ammo? And do you plan to shoot mainly jacketed bullets or lead?

Also, do you plan to use it for Cowboy Action Shooting? While I like Henry and the fact that it is US-made, I hardly ever see them at CAS matches. The minor issue is loading through the tube, in case you need to reload. The major issue, *I think*, is that these rifles cannot, or at least cannot without great cost, be short-stroked. So if you want to be competitive, that long lever stroke is gonna cost you.

Last edited by FloridaVeteran; August 29, 2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Add questions
Old August 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #3
rebs

Yes I am going to reload mainly with jacketed bullets since I have never loaded lead bullets for a rifle. It won't be used for any type of competition, just fun shooting and plinking. It won't be used for hunting either unless I see an occasional coyote out behind the house.

I do have a 357 mag hand gun that I reload 158 gr lswc's for, would they be good to shoot in a rifle ? If yes then in that case I have the reloading equipment already. Would I be able to shoot the rounds reloaded for my hand gun in the rifle ? What are the pro's and con's of shooting lead rounds in a rifle ? Would I have to use a gas check ?
Old August 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

I bought the 357 Mag and think it's a very good rifle. For me, I noticed I had to decide between 357 Mag or 38 Special. It seemed like If I sighted in for 357 Mag, I just could not toggle over to 38's without hitting in a different spot.
So the concept of dialing in 357, but shooting 38's for practice went out the window.
The rifle is so nice, I'd hate to get it all dinged up taking it hunting. After some thought, I decided in favor of the 44 Mag bullet for hunting. But for that, I bought the Ruger synthetic / stainless combo.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; August 30, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old August 29, 2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Dr. A

After answering your lead question on the other thread, I'll have to say go for the 357. Its easier to find ammo, much cheaper, easier on the shoulder, and will still hunt if you need it. My son and his friends can go through 500 rounds in a Summer afternoon really easily. My Marlin does shoot what you listed earlier (SWC), but I sure couldn't tell you about a Henry. It would be very easy to just load the RN variation with a moderate load and you'd be good to go for sure with both guns. Get it sized to .358 and find your moderate load of choice! Its about time I got one of those things. Good luck!
Old August 29, 2012, 05:47 PM   #6
jmortimer

.357 based on compatibility with existing handgun. They are both good choices as would be the best choice of all .45 Colt.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
FloridaVeteran

Rebs - since you already reload 357s for your handgun, it is a cinch that a companion 357 Henry is in your future. Not enough reason I can conjure up to switch calibers. In Cowboy Action shooting, most of us try to settle on one load for all guns (revolvers and rifles) all the time. Easy to do and most economical. Glad you will be buying a Henry. I want one in .22 Mag, but am a mite short on budget at the moment.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:45 AM   #8
rebs

Thank you for all the help, looks like 357 it is.