The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2008, 11:49 AM   #26
Mal H
Staff

Sevens - I'll repeat what AlaskaMike said, it was a good question. I feel the "use the search" comment was unwarranted in this case. I would like to see the search argument that could find a satisfactory answer for the question you asked.

As for me, I like the .45 Colt for much the same reasons Pathfinder said. I like the history of the cartridge; I like the bullets available for it; I like the wide range of loads available for it. I have both a SA revolver (Vaquero) and a rifle chambered for it (Winchester 94). They are two of my favorites, and they are the two that other shooters want to use when we are out plinking around.

I also have a .44 Magnum revolver, but I always feel like it is for more serious work. If I had a choice of only one caliber to shoot and reload for the rest of my life, it would have to be the .45 Colt with the .45 ACP a close second.

Quote:
I had always been under the assumption that .45 Colt brass was inherently weaker.
Probably true with older brass. New brass from companies like Starline (my favorite) is as strong as brass for any other caliber assuming you don't try to "push the envelope" too far.
Old February 1, 2008, 11:51 AM   #27
caz223

This isn't me being a jerk.
This is me saying that if you don't want full throttle loads, don't get them from the 'ruger blackhawk and T/C contender only' section.
That's where you will find the heavy recoiling loads.

I also gotta say that 300 grain lead slugs are a blast to shoot at 900 FPS.
They can also be pushed to 1300+ with some pretty good results, as one would expect.
As far as middle of the road loads, I usually shoot a different caliber like .41 magnum or 10mm if I want 180 grains@1200 FPS or 210 grains@1350 FPS. Call it a superstition, I avoid the 1100 FPS number and try to keep it at 1000 or 1200+ just to avoid the sound barrier.
Also, I'd just like to point out that not ALL .45 colt brass is as strong as .44 mag brass, but if you use new starline brass for your hotter loads there shouldn't be any question as far as strength is concerned. Starline is some good stuff.
Old February 1, 2008, 02:03 PM   #28
zxcvbob

Quote:
Good stuff. I had always been under the assumption that .45 Colt brass was inherently weaker.
I think maybe .45 revolvers tend to have looser chambers than .44's, so the brass gets worked-hardened more and cracks sooner. For a while I was "neck sizing" my .45 brass with a .30-06 die adjusted to only size the last half inch of the case (they really did have a neck when I was done) but I decided the cases always crack at the mouth anyway so it wasn't worth the effort. It *might* be worthwhile if you are shooting black powder and want a leetle extra case capacity, or shooting really light "poofter" cowboy loads and want the chambers to seal better.

Also, .45 cylinder walls are thinner than .44's because they start out with the same size cylinder and then bore larger holes in it. But the .45 achieves the same performance as the .44 at much lower pressure levels just because it's bigger. Just don't try to load your .45 cases to 35000+ psi unless you have one of those 5-shot custom cylinders or a .454 Casull. 25000 psi in a .45LC pretty much equals 35000 in a .44 Magnum.

Quote:
A question for you .45 Colt aficionados:
Why the .45 Colt? Now this is a serious question and I'm not at all trying to offend anyone. I'm just curious because I'm sure there is something I'm missing from the equation. Is there something the .45 Colt offers that can't be done with the .44 Mag?
I would have been perfectly happy (I think) with a .44 Magnum, but I found a good deal on a Ruger Bisley .45 and I fell in love with it. It came with aftermarket checkered rosewood grips that are so pretty they'll bring tears to your eyes. I was specifically looking for a .45 though because at the time I thought I'd be mostly shooting black powder and the .45 was originally a bp cartridge, so it has the case capacity for it. I still do load bp occasionally because I like the smell and all that fire and smoke. (They hate it at the indoor range) but 99% of my reloading is with smokeless powder.