The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2015, 06:02 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Range time with the Bulldog .44 Special

I loaded some 200 gr Hornady XTP and Speer GDHP over Power Pistol and gave them a run in my new Charter Arms Bulldog 2 1/2" 5-shooter. First, the fixed sights were pretty much point of aim. No problem putting them on target, but I need to get used to the little beast and tighten my groups. First time I ever noticed my trigger finger getting banged. I have had the knuckle behind the trigger guard take a pounding with hot .45 loads in a Blackhawk, but this Bulldog wacks me with the inside of the guard. In any case, both max Speer load (8.6 gr) and 0.1 gr below Hornady max (8.4 gr) yielded 870 fps. Not bad; I was hoping to get 850. It is lively, though.
Old June 28, 2015, 07:18 PM   #2
David R

Once I replaced the stock grip the gun became fun to shoot. I bought pac compact and full size. Either works great. I stayed with the compac for carry. This fits in a lot of my holsters.

David