The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2002, 06:24 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

T&E of shotgun slugs

I'm going to Do a comparitive test of several different kinds of shotgun slug sometime soon, and I (being but a recent shotgun owner) don't have a clue about which slugs are most popular/most representative of the different types.

I'll chronograph each load in the shotgun, then I'm going to fire a couple three round groups for accuracy, then I'm going to do a penetration test with a simulated interior wall with wet phone books backing it, and if i have time, a similar test, but with a car door instead of the interior wall.

as of right now, I plan to test both the brenneke low recoil and standard slugs, a representative foster slug, the sauvestre fin stabilized slug, and anything else you guys want me to test.

The test weapon is a 20 inch barrelled mossberg with ghost ring sights.

you guys got any suggestions on slugs to use for the test?

I'd also like to know where to find them, if possible.
Old July 8, 2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Andrew, last year a bunch of us were very impressed with Kent Cartridge's K.O. brand of slugs. They appear to be Brenneke slugs loaded by Kent.

Not sure where you are, but if there is a Dick's Sporting goods nearby, they may have'em.

I've had good results from Remington slugs. Until Kent came out with these, that was my stock slug.
Old July 8, 2002, 08:37 PM   #3
Mannlicher

Are you using 12 GA? I would tend to think so, but I have a Mossy like that in 20 ga. Is your barrel rifled, or smoothbore?

Be sure to share with us your results.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 8, 2002, 10:29 PM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

I plan to do a full write up which i'll submit to Combat which is the local tactical shooting club's newsletter. I'll post a htmlized version on my own site.

The shotgun i'm using is a 12 gauge.
Old July 9, 2002, 04:39 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A worthy test, Andrew. A coupla things...

Besides the KO Brennekes, try the Rottweil, made by Dynamit Nobel. This was the first Brenneke type slug available here, and it has a very good track record. Pricey, but highly effective.

Also, lots of folks still use the older Forster style slugs. An apples to apples comparison on penetration would be nice for those folks using slugs on hogs and bear. The Winchester 1 oz HP was my old duty slug, and they've done good work on whitetails also.

If you're using a smoothbore, skip the sabots. They are intended for rifled bores, and do their best in them.

And, if you've not done much bench work with slugs, I recommend adding weight to your shotgun, using a wearable recoil pad like the PAST, and taking anti inflammatories beforehand. Trust me on this...

FYI, I recall reading that a 7 lb shotgun firing a 1 1/4 oz Brenneke has more free recoil than a 9 lb 375 H&H firing 350 gr Rhino Whacker loads.
Old July 9, 2002, 01:24 PM   #6
Andrew Wyatt

The saboted load i'm testing is fin stablized and is designed for smoothbore barrels.

I'm planning on probably filling the hollow buttstock on my shotgun with a ziplock bag of lead shot to help dampen recoil. I'll keep you apprized of the results when i finally get around to doing the test.

I need to look up dome data on which penetration medium to use, first. I think i'll do that today.
Old July 13, 2002, 12:57 PM   #7
Andrew Wyatt

I should do a series on slug testing or something.

When i get around to it, I'll make up a list of the ammunition i'm going to test and post it here.

So far, i'm looking at like ten different kinds.