The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 06:44 AM   #76
45_auto

I'll loan a gun to anyone I know well enough to loan a car. I figure that if I trust them enough to loan them something worth $20,000 or $30,000 and do the right thing with it then a gun worth 10% of that at the most is a no brainer.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:11 AM   #77
Rifleman1776

Lot of replies, I haven't read all. Opinions do vary.
I have several friends I trust enough to loan them my guns.
But, my main shooting passion is traditional muzzle loaders. I have three very fine custom made rifles. Even though I trust my friends, 'stuff' happens. If they were to damage one I know it would affect the friendship for a long time. Therefore, not worth the risk. My modern guns, I would happily loan. I have nothing fancy in modern. It would be like loaning a shovel.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #78
Edward429451

Quote:
If you don't trust anyone, how can other people trust you?
This is an extremely good point, glad you brought it up. It may sound sort of cliche, but it is in fact not. Psychologically, it's related to projection. It has long been known that people who harp on others over certain things, like trust or infidelity, have these issues themselves. So they un-consciously think that all people are like that since they themselves are. This is all on the sub-conscious level for them and they don't even know that they are expressing tells to others.

Again, good point. Very valid.

You guys that say guns are like wives etc...I hope you're being facetious with your comments.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:14 PM   #79
Jammer Six

I wouldn't touch a man's bike or gun without his permission, but as much as I hate to be the one to tell you this, whether or not I touch your wife isn't up to you.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #80
gunfighter48

I don't loan guns, money, or tools. This way I stay friendly with my friends and family members.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:35 PM   #81
Direwolf59

It has nothing to do with trust. It has nothing to do with the person you loaned it to even using the gun. It has to do with liability.

"I don't like repeat offenders...I like dead offenders." - Uncle Ted
Old October 11, 2012, 08:20 PM   #82
MJN77

A friend of mine loaned a gun to his brother because the brother said he wanted to learn to shoot. The brother went home, laid down on his bed and shot himself in the head. None of it was my friend's fault, brother wanted to die and would've done it without the gun. But my friend still lives with "what if I hadn't loaned him the gun?". The point is, you never know what the person you loan a gun to has in mind. But I would loan a gun to my father and my wife. No one else.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:35 PM   #83
Chaz88

I am just about the oldest student at the college I go to. We have a great shooting sports club but do not always have enough personal or club guns to go around so I always bring an extra shotgun to trap shoots for others to use. If someone wanted to borrow one to take home I would be very selective about who I would let do that. When I was overseas my guns were stored at my dad's house and he would ask me before borrowing guns, even ones that he gave me, so I think most people are fairly respectful about even asking.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:55 PM   #84
buck460XVR

Quote:
A friend of mine loaned a gun to his brother because the brother said he wanted to learn to shoot. The brother went home, laid down on his bed and shot himself in the head. None of it was my friend's fault, brother wanted to die and would've done it without the gun. But my friend still lives with "what if I hadn't loaned him the gun?". The point is, you never know what the person you loan a gun to has in mind. But I would loan a gun to my father and my wife. No one else.
Sad as your story is, your friend's mistake was not loaning his brother a gun, but loaning it to a person with the premise of "learning to shoot" and letting them take it home unsupervised. The brother, unfamiliar with guns, could have just as easily shot himself in the head by accident. Your friend would still have the same guilt, even tho the brother did not have the same intent. I doubt if many of us would lend our car/truck to someone under the premise of "learning to drive" and let them drive off by themselves.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:59 PM   #85
PT-92

Joyrock,

IMO it's an Entirely different world than say the day's when one would receive a Sear's Catalog advertising guns to be bought via the Snail Mail just in time for Christmas. Likewise, shooting with friends and family as well as "sharing" of guns with both kin and friends alike was commonplace "back-in-the-day." But like everything else in the chaotic world we live in today, it is no more. As others have stated, unless one is ready to "lawyer-up" for any possible incident from the very slightest (say person borrowing gun is stopped with a burnt-out tail-light and the police run a weapon's check etc...) Though gun-people like us here in the forum look at guns like just another tool and not this potential WMD the media portrays it as, it's not a good idea in The "United States of Litigated-America." Better safe than sorry....
Old October 12, 2012, 06:43 PM   #86
Jammer Six

As a general contractor, one of the most litigious industries there is, I learned that a fear of legal action almost always indicated a recognized lack of knowledge.

When one is afraid of litigation, one is not only in unknown waters, but one knows it.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:07 PM   #87
TheGoldenState

I have one on loan out to a neighbor right now (and for quite some time), and another that just got returned after a 3-week outting.

Both close, upstanding execs and no criminal records that I am aware of.

I do wonder, if any, legal rams there'd be for their use of it?
Old October 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #88
Edward429451

Quote:
I wouldn't touch a man's bike or gun without his permission, but as much as I hate to be the one to tell you this, whether or not I touch your wife isn't up to you.
So you'll respect a mans bike and guns, but fool with his Wife, knowing she's married. Poor show. Are you as unethical in your contracting too? Totally un-trustworthy, this man.

You probably blame your sleaziness on the husband, don't you? If the husband satisfied her, you couldn't fool with her, so it's ok. Uhhh-huh. We know who you are.

I do agree with statement that people who fear litigation, is people with a recognized lack of knowledge. That's spot on.

Last edited by Edward429451; October 13, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:37 PM   #89
ripnbst

I'd loan a lawn mower before a gun. My mower didn't cost me the thousands some of my guns did. My mower is not as irreplaceable as a Garand.

I will loan a gun but only to a number of people I can count on one hand. Even then it's only certain guns. There are guns I flat wont loan to anyone.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:27 AM   #90
Sparks1957

Quote:
It has nothing to do with trust. It has nothing to do with the person you loaned it to even using the gun. It has to do with liability
That's where I'm coming from, too. I work hard for the money to buy my guns, and my friends can do that too if they want guns. They can shoot mine at the range, anytime they want to go with me.

Besides, I don't have many close friends, and some of those don't live nearby. I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of acquaintances that I am friendly with but not close enough to trust to that degree.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:05 AM   #91
NO-BODY

NEVER LET ANYONE BORROW YOUR GUN. I loaned one and the SOB sold it. Talk about a mess, you don't know what crazy crap people will do. I have known this guy his whole life, he is my son!
Old October 13, 2012, 01:11 PM   #92
Chaz88

Quote:
I have known this guy his whole life, he is my son!
That is unbelievable! I would never sell a gun my dad gave me let alone one he loaned me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #93
NO-BODY

YEA!, We don't talk about it.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #94
JimPage

There are about ten people I would loan my guns to. I know how they handle guns and they are safe. If I had a son, I would know ahead that he might sell the gun, I hope.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old October 13, 2012, 02:49 PM   #95
Dragline45

Only person I would loan a gun to is my father. In fact I loaned my PPK to him because he needed a carry gun and he ended up having it so long that I just transferred it to his name and gave it to him. Gives me an excuse to get the Sig 232 I always wanted.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #96
jborushko

some advice my uncle gave me when i was a kid, "if you borrow something, return it better than you got it. If you lend something never expect it back"

if you cant swallow that, dont do it. i cant swallow not getting my guns back so, nope. gun range try outs are one thing but flat loaning out? not a chance

"i will never let you ride my wife or my harley"
Old October 14, 2012, 10:22 AM   #97
buck460XVR

For those of you that have answered "never", how many have let their kids or other loved one ride in a vehicle with someone else driving? Most, if not all I bet. You trust the lives of your loved ones in other's hands, but a material object like a firearm is off limits?

Worried about liability? Not unless you loan the firearm knowingly to a felon or have a reasonable suspicion that they are going to commit a crime with it. Otherwise it's no different than loaning them your lawnmower. Like the lawnmower tho, if you loan it knowing there is a safety issue with it, you can be sued for neglect. It's pretty much just common sense. You don't lend a gun to someone with mental disease or limited mental capacity. You don't lend your gun to a crackhead or a wife beater. You don't lend a firearm to someone with no knowledge of firearms. You don't lend great Grandpa's pristine 1895 or any other collector grade firearm to someone who just needs a hog gun for the weekend. If your friendship or family member is not worth the value of a readily replaceable firearm, one needs to re-evaluate their priorities in life. If you can't trust your friends or family members enough to lend them a readily replaceable firearm, I feel sorry for you.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #98
gandog56

Quote:
Loaned a pistol to a friend once who had never owned a firearm.

Two weeks later it was stolen from his home.

I'm sure he was showing it off to anyone who would stand still long enough.

I never got the pistol back or was reimbursed.

Got knows what the criminal who stole it used it for.

Lost a gun and a friend (who refused to pay for the piece).
Then I would tend to blame YOU for your choice of 'friend", and loaning it to somebody in the first place who never even owned one in his life. You are right about one thing, him being a "friend" no longer!
Old October 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #99
Sparks1957

Quote:
If your friendship or family member is not worth the value of a readily replaceable firearm, one needs to re-evaluate their priorities in life
You are entitled to that opinion. I happen to believe that I have MY priorities sorted out just fine, and I still don't believe in loaning my guns out.

You may do as you wish with yours.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #100
SilentHitz

Without going into a lot of boring details, I have learned the hard way, so I never loan vehicles or firearms...with the exception of my brother. Not everyone treats other peoples property the way they treat their own stuff.

My friends are welcome to shoot any of my guns in my presence...but that's as far as I go.

http://k5fv.com/