The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 7, 2001, 08:15 AM   #1
yankytrash

Silencers - Virginia

Well, in a couple 4 or 5 years my shooting range will be flanked by rental houses and a convenience store. Before the trouble starts, I'd to start researching possibilties of my obtaining a few silencers for my rifles.

I live in rural Va, with a county population of less than 10,000 (and that includes the jails). The local CLEO is pro-gun, and has actually gone so far as to help me out with an inheritance of AW's I had in the past.

My only prebans are an AR-15 SP1 and a Romanian Romak-III. I've got 4 or 5 other rifles that are not preban, and obviously have no threads or the threads are inaccessible without tools and much blood.

Am I correct in assuming silencers are NFA items? I did a search of the ATF's website and only came up with definitions, but no tax requirements.

Can anybody here walk me through the procedure for aquiring silencers in Va? When answering, assume there are no specific local ordinances banning such items, as there are not.

Also, can I get silencers for the post-ban weapons?

Also, do I have to pay tax on each silencer, or is it a 'package deal'. Is it a yearly fee, or a one time fee?

Thanks for your time.
Old October 7, 2001, 09:35 AM   #2
Jake 98c/11b

Your assumption is correct, they are NFA items requiring a $200.00 transfer tax. From what I have seen the process should be rather simple for you given the circumstances you describe. First step is to find a dealer who has, or can get, what you want. The item must be in stock by the dealer because the forms you fill out must include the serial number of the unit. From there it is a matter of filling out the forms, having some passport type photos taken and having some fingerprint cards done. When the paperwork is done, to include the CLEO signature, you foreward these, with a $200.00 check, through your dealer and wait. After a month or four you should have an answer and you can take posession of the supressor. The post ban guns are another question entirely. As I understand it the ATF has decided that the supressor (silencer) is also concidered to be a flash supressor so this will count as one of the evil features under the assault weapons ban. This with the threaded muzzle required for attaching it would give you two bad features and the current law allows only one. It is possible, I suppose, to have an integral supressor (non detachable) on a weapon that has no other banned features. After seeing the short supressed sniper rifles the russians have here (Bosnia) I am thinking that if I could find a source for their 9x39mm ammunition I might want to find someone to piece one togeather for me. I am not exactly a fan of the AK but that is one I would like to have.
-- OK, I realize it is not actually an AK action but it is based on it and it could be done and that is close enough.--

Hopefully that is helpful. If you need help finding a dealer I do know some dealers and manufacturers in VA.
Old October 7, 2001, 09:49 AM   #3
yankytrash

I found my dealer. It's funny, although his liscense is TBA Supressors, you call his muffler shop to get a hold of him. Kind of an ingenious way to have a business address for the not-so-popular business of NFA items.

(BTW- he's doing it perfectly legal, he just has a seperate office in the same building for the NFA biz)

Unfortunately on my postbans, all have pistol grip, detachable mag, and semi-auto. I guess I'm out of luck there.

Maybe I should approach this at a different angle. I've heard of inside shooters firing through a series of tires for silencing. Is that a viable option for quieting a 308?

If it is, maybe I can come up with some sort of small building to shoot from, designed on the principals of the old-tire supression technique?

Is supressor spelled with two p's?
Old October 7, 2001, 10:19 AM   #4
IZZY

You are taking the wrong approach.

Istead of having them run you off your property, you need to keep them away. How? Turn your range into a commercial venture, a cheap public range. That way nobody will want to build near your site, and you will have preserved a good place to shoot.

You say the folks in that area are pretty pro-gun, well why not test just how pro RKBA they really are!
Old October 7, 2001, 10:34 AM   #5
yankytrash

Unfortunately, the convenience store owner is a good friend of mine. He's pro-gun, and told me to not worry about the noise (he actually encourages the gunfire for kind of a security measure). I've left it open for him to get together after we build his store for us to get together and agree on the best times to shoot.

And, unfortunately, the rental houses are mine and my boss's. The boss says, "To hell with'm. I'll bet they won't come up with any excuses when you come to the door for the rent if they know you own WWIII back there!"

Of course, me being the lazy person I am, I won't end up trying silencing options until people have complained to point of disgust.

To say "to hell with all of them - it's my property" is tempting, but a little idealistic. I won't bend over backwards for them, but I'd like to do the neighborly thing and try to make peace before complaints happen.

You know what I mean? Whe nthe subject of gun-nuts come up, I'd like my neighbors to speak up and say, "Well, my neighbor has a firing range out back of my place, and he keeps it as quiet as possible, and asks politely if he's bothering me. Real nice guys, those gun owners are."

I'm not looking to convert the anti's, but I just don't want to make any new ones.
Old October 7, 2001, 01:59 PM   #6
Jake 98c/11b

Yankeytrash

Todd at TBA is one of the guys I know, I can certainly reccomend him. Good guy, good product, good warranty and nice to deal with. If you shoot a volume of .308 he can help you there as well last I talked to him. The mufler shop is one of his businesses, I got a kick out of that too.
Old October 7, 2001, 11:20 PM   #7
RenegadeX

Quote:
Istead of having them run you off your property, you need to keep them away. How? Turn your range into a commercial venture, a cheap public range. That way nobody will want to build near your site, and you will have preserved a good place to shoot.
Good luck. Most people move in anyway, then start filing noise complaints. They just ran a great range out of business here in McKinney Texas doing just that.