The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
KBP

Misinformation on AR15 "Assault rifle"

This is driving me crazy! Seems almost every report on the mass killings in the Conn. Elementary school points out the weapon used was an "AR15 assault rifle" this is wrong for two big reasons. Civilian AR15's are NOT assault rifles and the killer used pistols only! The media and anti-gun nuts have used this terrible crime to spread misinformation and they are getting undeserved credit for their lies!
Old March 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
sigcurious

Quote:
the killer used pistols only
I've seen this statement pop up a few times, yet I've never seen a credible source for this information. Care to share one?
Old March 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

In the immediate aftermath of the shootings, such reports were circulating, but they were incorrect.

According to this report from the Connecticut Post, CT state police have said that the Bushmaster recovered from inside the school was the weapon used to kill all the victims. Lanza's only use of a handgun was to shoot himself.

This is based on the reports from autopsies done on the victims. There were earlier reports that reflected confusion about where various weapons were found, but the autopsy reports are definitive.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 2, 2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: corrected typo.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Puddle

I, too would like to see some sort of proof that only pistols were used vs. the Bushmaster. I know there was an initial report the same day or the day after that pistols were used, but I think this was incorrect.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:29 AM   #5
KBP

Misinformation

Please read for yourself:

http://conservativebyte.com/2013/01/...hook-shooting/ and http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/340113

Last edited by KBP; March 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Gaerek

Misinformation on AR15 "Assault rifle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBP View Post
I won't say you're wrong here, but that's just a blog post with absolutely no supporting information. Its a blogger asserting that an AR wasn't used. When you have actual evidence, please post it. I could write a blog post asserting that Lanza used an alien death ray recovered from the wreckage at Roswell. But without evidence/proof, I'll be called a liar until I provide it.

EDIT: Here's a blog post with actual evidence (that Lanza did use the AR):

http://www.redstate.com/2012/12/27/s...hmaster-ar-15/

Last edited by Gaerek; March 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Tickling

Um, I did read for myself. That "article" linked no sources and only mentions an early, vague report as follows:

Quote:
There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL.
And then tries to build a case based on the above that the media and everyone else is lying..

Old March 2, 2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Water-Man

The coroner stated children were shot by .223/5.56.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Tickling

Ok so the second article you added is interesting.. except it contradicts the first and mentions a "shotgun" in the trunk instead of the AR-15. It in no way debunks that the shooter used an AR-15, except to point suspiciously at a few of the early, fuzzy news reports.

Yeah the news media gets things wrong, it's not always intentional and I don't see how it affects the official story.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:53 AM   #10
KBP

Misinformation

I guess the only way someone can prove how these poor children were killed is to ask the coroner. He will give you his opinion. Even that will be subject to people saying they don't believe it and it's a COVERUP! I guess if you feel the children were killed by an assault rifle, I say, you prove it! Until that, the pro gun people will believe what they want and the anti-gun group will believe what they think! The rest is unclear and if you believe the anti-gun/anti-Second Ammendment nuts, good luck!
Old March 2, 2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Evan Thomas

Closed, before we veer into conspiracy-land.