The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 04:21 PM   #1
tgreening

New additions...

Picked up a new Ruger SR22 a week or so ago and finally got it to the range yesterday. I burned through about 150 rnds of some bulk crap I found in one of my sheds that's probably been out there for years. I figured if it could eat that crap it would eat just about anything. .

Out of the whole mess I had two that failed to fire, and one that failed to eject. Failed to eject in that it wouldn't come out, period. I had to field strip it and pry it out with my finger nail. Other than that she ran like a champ.

Now all I have to do is learn to shoot it. I shot consistent groups but I was consistently shooting to the left of center. By the end I was starting to pull it together so I think that will be a non issue with some trigger time.

Stopped by the local to day to meet up with a friend of mine that was huntin some supplies and ammo and such. Unfortunately I got there first and having time to kill I took a look at the used section.

Bad Move....

I spotted a Berreta PX4 Inox in .40 cal. I've been waffling back and forth over this stupid thing for ages, never being able to make up my mind. It's always felt good in my hand but I was mixed on the trigger. I don't think it's ever been fired. It's spotless. I don't think the mags have ever even been loaded. It's literally as new. Either that or the PO is the best cleaner I've ever seen.

To make a short story long I picked it up for $400 OTD with original case, docs, mags, and back straps. If that was a decent deal while supporting the LGS, feel free to say so. If I coulda picked it up new for $410, save me the shame and remain silent.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
bitttorrrent

I have both - but just a black px4. Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid 550 something new on sale at Cabela's a while back but was my first purchase so not too experienced. With tax etc. was round 600 I think, but came with a free holster.

I love both guns and did the smae with my sr22 - ran a bunch of crap ammo through it. I might have had a few failures, but was not the gun. One bullet was not straight and other i think primer ring was no good.

Just had out with new boxed ammo and was 100%
Old October 12, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
AdrianVall

I love my SR22! Great little gun.. shoots like a champ! Very easy to take apart too, which is great. I'm considering selling my 22/45 MKIII in favor of the SR22 and use that to fund a PX4 purchase in a 9mm.. yup! =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 12, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
tgreening

Took a quick trip to the range today. I only shot through 3 magazines.

So far I'm liking it. Feels a bit snappier in the recoil dept than the 9mm, but not much. Bad news is I'm shooting this one just like the SR22, which is a bit low and to the left. Apparently I need to work on my trigger pull and smooth it out. I would imagine some trigger time will get it worked out. Thinking about making this my HD gun.