The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Dawgs

Primer Problem

I am a new member and not quite sure of the procedure here but I have a reloading problem. I reload my .45 SA LC using a single stage press with a primer feeder and have reloaded about 1000 rounds with no problem but have a live primer stuck in case (sideways). I could not remove the case from the shell holder and upon removing the shell holder could see that the primer is lodged sideways in the opening. I would appreciate any advice on removing it along with the necessary safety precautions. Thank you.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
AllenJ

If it were me I would very carefully deprime it using the sizer/depriming die. If you wish to be totally safe soak the shell holder and bottom of the case with oil, that should kill the primer.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:36 PM   #3
wogpotter

Wind the decapping stem out a few turns & slowly & steadily apply pressure till the primer comes out. Wear thick gloves long sleeved shirt or jacket & eye protection, a face shield if you feel it will help your confidence.

You'll find that primers need IMPACT to fire, slow steady pressure isn't likely to ignite a primer. Even if it does the "blast" will go up inside the die which will deflect any debris down. If the primer does fire it will absolutely get your undivided attention & increase the ol' heart rate a bit, but that's about the limit of the probable damage. Those suckers are LOUD in a small space.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 5, 2011, 04:48 PM   #4
hogcowboy

I've had this happen too. I just slowly ran it thru the resize decapper again. The key is slowly. I wear my safety glasses all the time so take note.

American Legion Rider
Old June 5, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Deprime it just as you would a fired case. You can wrap a damp towel around it. When this happened to me, the crumpled primer just got pushed out with out going off.

I now use an RCBS hand primer and like it much better. It fits a single stage set-up where you work in batches. Priming is an off-press batch step.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Dawgs

Primer Problem Solved

Replies were right on - removed as suggested without incident - thanks