The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2000, 10:56 AM   #1
Larz

I think I am going to buy the Lee Aniversery kit. ($72) Is this a good price and a good setup? I want to reload 30-30, 308, 223 300winmag, 22-250, and 44mag. Will this press do all these well. What dies do I buy. Should I get "RGB DIES" ($10). or PACESETTER 3 DIES ($19). Also are 30-30 bullets harder to find and more expensive because they are round nosed? Am I barking up the wrong tree or headed in the right direction with the stuff I listed about. I especially don't know about the dies. Please help. Thanks a lot, Larz
Old September 15, 2000, 11:25 AM   #2
Jack Straw

My first advice would be to get a good manual and read it.

I had one of the Lee kits and it worked fine for me. It will work for all the calibers you mentioned and you seem to have found it all at good prices. Go to www.midwayusa.com and compare the prices, just keep in mind that Midway prices include shipping.

As for the dies, the dies are the same but with the Pacesetter you get a shellholder, factory crimp die, powder dipper, and load data with your dies. With the kit you get a powder measure so you won't necessarily need the dippers. Since you already have a manual at this point you won't need the load data. You will need the shellholders so add those to the cost of getting the RGB dies. You may need the factory crimp die depending on your guns ie.. if the 30-30 is a lever action you will need the crimp die. You may or may not want to crimp for bolt actions or single shot guns (I don't, but that's me). As for the .44, get the carbide dies; the few extra dollars are worth it.

All the bullets manufacturers make bullets suitable for the 30-30 in lever action. Come to think of it they make bullets specifically for the turty-turty, so no problems there.

You could probably find a lot of info by doing a search here for "newbie" or "beginning reloader" or other such phrases.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask this forum or email me.

Jack
Old September 15, 2000, 02:51 PM   #3
Hutch

Larz, I don't know if your budget permits it, but if so, you might consider the RCBS line as well. I'm not snooty, and Lee makes some excellent stuff, and incorporates some ingenious engineering. Some of the engineering is in order to permit relatively low strength materials perform useful service for a finite service life. I've slap worn out 3 (!) Autoprimes. I keep a new one in a box for parts, cause they WILL fail. Nothing else works as well, but almost anything else will last longer. I think the dies are okay. As I said, if you can swing the additional cost, the RCBS Rockchucker/Uniflow/5-10 scale are heirloom quality and durability.
Old September 15, 2000, 06:35 PM   #4
Coolray

I bought an RCBS Master reloading kit : at Wal-Mart for $225 has everything except bullets and powder and Dies.
Old September 18, 2000, 06:57 AM   #5
Larz

I am looking at the RCBS kit now. I may go with it instead of the Lee Kit. I might as well buy something thats gonna last forever. Does walmart still sell the mater loading kit. I don't remember ever seeing it there. especially at that price. Larz
Old September 18, 2000, 09:24 PM   #6
beemerb

Go to the midway site and check their prices.I think they are very competative.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 9, 2000, 08:47 AM   #7
posigian

Larz,

Take a look on ebay.com or gunbroker.com web sites. I am just getting started myself and over the last 6 months I have been buying differnt pieces of equipment from ebay. Ive been able to save some money that way and at the same time its a fun way to shop. Take a look and take your time. I am sure you will find a good deal.

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old October 9, 2000, 04:44 PM   #8
Bogie

If you wear out autoprimes, be advised that the innards are also sold separately - I've replaced the guts of one of mine, and it works great again...

4 autoprimes, 1 K&M priming tool

Old October 11, 2000, 01:18 PM   #9
Nestor Rivera

I have that Kit and it works fine, the things you will add later are, RCBS Powder Trickler(sp) and a better scale but nieither is a must at first. also pick up a LEE or other de-prime die so if you break the pin on a lee die you can still reload until you receive a replacemnt.

try http://www.fmreloading.com/
for some good pricing

I load mill cal's

6.5x55,7x57,7.92x57,.303brit,30-06,.308,7.62Russian 8x56R and all work fine.