The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Master Blaster

Remington 1100 Polished blue fancy stock Cheap??

Hi All I came across a LNIB remington 1100 in a local shop. It has a fancy walnut stock figured and the ubber fancy fleur delis checkering, high polish blue, steel trigger guard, checkered wavy rib, and engraved reciever and bolt.
It looks like it had about a box of shells fired through it and is in new condition.
Now the downside, the barrel is 2 3/4 shells only (for me not a problem since its going to be used for trap and I have two 3" guns already) The barrel is 28" modified choke (fixed no changeable chokes). The gun appears to shoot high ( looking up the barrel and the rib) which is perfect for trap. SO the shop wants $299 for it, and I love high polish blueing and fancy walnut. I already have a berretta 391 Urika gold sport for trap, but I want a second nice gun to use for when my children accompany me. SO is it worth the money, and what are the pitfalls of the 1100. Also when did remington start making screw in choke barrels and 3" chambers??

The nice thing is this gun looks like good old fashioned American craftsmanship.

Should I buy it??

Thanks
Old January 8, 2010, 11:23 AM   #2
rbernie

That's a good price, and I do like the 1100. They shoot well, and while likely not up to South American dove hunt kinds of abuse, they last well and are well-supported within the community.

I would buy it without hesitation.
Old January 8, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
oneounceload

You can always have the barrel threaded for chokes. Currently, Briley is supplying OEM chokes for Remington.

If you're seeing rib, then you will shoot high - just means the stock needs some adjustment.

Is this a target model? For trap, you won't need the 3" as you mentioned.

Do NOT get oil on the O-ring. Go to a auto or hardware store and find yourself a few extra - try to get Viton material or similar, they'll last longer. Remember when you clean it to put the brass rings (piston and seal) back together in the right order and position. Watch your fingers if you're fumbling arpound the inside - there are some VERY sharp edges that can slice fingertips real easily.

Otherwise, it is a great gun and should go a long time with little issue - keep it clean and DRY. 1100's run dry, not wet
Old January 8, 2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Pahoo

I have owned more 1100's than any other shotgun and I think that they are excellent shotgun. If yours is in this condition, go for it. I just sold my 12Ga. for $350.00. By the way, I too have a spare O-Ring and still using the old one that has been in the gun for over 20yrs. These are not very expensive and worth buying from a smith or supply house. I'm sure there are better shotguns out there but not for this price.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 8, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
zippy13

Should I buy it??
In a minute!
Old January 8, 2010, 07:39 PM   #6
retiredcoasty

I have had an 1100 for about ten years. It is accurate and has never failed me yet. If I miss, it was me, not the gun. If something bad happened to this one I would buy another the same day.

Only you can really decide whether or not to buy the at which you are looking. But I would feel comfortable buying it at the price.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
rc

Like new for $299 It probably won't be there for too long. Better grab that one. You won't be disappointed.
Old January 9, 2010, 12:29 AM   #8
hometheaterman

The 1100's are great guns. I'm not at all a Remington fan and most of what they put out now seems to be crap. However, back 15-20 years ago and earlier they really put out some great guns. The 1100 being one of them. As long as it's not a new 1100 I'd snag it up. If it's one made in the last few years I wouldn't buy it.
Old January 9, 2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy it!!!
Old January 9, 2010, 07:20 PM   #10
MTT TL

I would be surprised if it was still there when you go back.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Master Blaster

I told them to hold it for me, and I went back and bought it. Brought it home and cleaned it, I doubt it was fired more than a couple times, not even a box of shells. It must have sat in somones closet or safe for years. I am curios as to the year of manufacture, is there a website that lists manufacture dates by serial number, or some other way to tell?? I will try to post a picture of it later today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Old January 10, 2010, 11:20 AM   #12
zippy13

Congratulations!
For date of mfg, check out http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/...ns/barrelcodes
Old January 10, 2010, 12:04 PM   #13
carpshooter

Only thing to know !

Buy that gun ,Now !
Old January 10, 2010, 12:38 PM   #14
zippy13

Check post #11, he already bought it and has it home. He's lucky he's not in Kalifornia, he'd be waiting a while before taking possession of the R-1100.