The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
rogm1017

need help with .40 reloads

Hi,
just getting into reloading and had some berry 180 FP given to me. I can't find anything on reload specs for that bullet. I will be using W231 powder with win primers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old July 12, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Randy 1911

Most of the companies that sell plated bullets tell you to use lead data ( the plating is not thick enough to be considered jacketed). I personnally load a 180 FP with 4.9 grains of W231. In my book 5.8 isx max. It is a realitively mild load and function realibly. I load them to a OAL of 1.125.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3
rogm1017

thanks randy. The closest info in the lymans book is 175g in lead, which gives the specs you gave me. So i assume i can use that data? Thanks for your imput.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I've reloaded some of the Berry plated bullets for .40 S&W and like them but I find the load specs for .40 S&W very narrow. If you don't use enough powder (starting at minimums) I have had a lot of cycling failures and stovepipes. If you use too much powder, pressure builds fast in .40 S&W. I actually have a bunch of American Eagle (Federal) and WWB .40 S&W that I have shot and a lot of the rounds showed over-pressure signs on the primers, from factory ammo!

And then I have had American Eagle ammo that will not cycle the slide.

I don't shoot much .40 S&W anyways, mostly .45 Colt and .38 special these days, but it always seems like a tricky cartridge to get right.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

rogm1017

Never ever use loads for a lighter bullet, even though Randy may be an experienced reloader never use loads shown for a lighter bullet. Randy did not mean for you to look at his load and compare it to a load of a lighter bullet. If you can't find the exact match for your components go to the next heavier bullet. The FPS will be higher but it will be less pressure. For the load you are looking for Hodgdon has 4.1gr to 5.0gr's for a Hornady 180grXTP. This load will be fine for the Berry bullet as well but as mentioned since the plating is softer it will exit the barrel at a higher fps rating but the key is you will have less pressure. With Berry's bullets I keep them below 1200fps to keep from peeling the plating off and leaving some of it behind in your barrel. This load should net you about 960fps on the max load. Since this is a new load for you I would start at 4.1gr and load 5 rounds then increment every 5 rounds up to 4.5gr and see what you think before proceeding any further.

I am looking for Authors for http://dayattherange.com if interested let me know.

I have started my own website in hopes of collecting range reports. Basically a one stop shop for all range reports. I did this because I often have troubles searching and finding things here. Would you be interested in posting your range report on my site

http://www.dayattherange.com

It is nonprofit, I am not looking to make any money off of it. Just doing it on my spare time and funding it all myself hoping it will benefit others that love our sport as much as we do.

There have been a few others from this site that contribute on a regular basis.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; July 12, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:30 PM   #6
rogm1017

thanks mr. revolver guy,
I think i will go to a more conventional bullet. Info on plated bullets is hard to come by and I think i would be more comfortable with a bullet that I can get exact info on. Being a newbie reloader i would rather play it safe until I can learn a little more. But thanks to all who replied.