The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
micromontenegro

Python front sight pins driving me crazy

So I want to install a patridge front sight on my six inch Python. Easy enough, isn't it it? Well, it began in fine fashion indeed: take the proper starter punch, both pins start drifting OK towards my right... and then they stopped, just flush with the rib. And I haven't been able to budge them since! No amount of WD40 has proven useful... any tips for me? I don't feel like taking the torch to it...

Thanks in advance!!!
Old February 23, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Is your support block giving the pins clearance to come out?

These usually come out without trouble, as long as you push them from left to right as you sight down the barrel.

I have no idea what may be holding them up, unless the small burrs that are almost always raised by factory installation are somehow interfering.

Make sure the barrel is well braced in a no move-no bounce set up and use the starter punch with a light hammer.
NO HEAT.

You might also try pushing them back in slightly to see if this will clear any trapped pin burrs.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:09 AM   #3
micromontenegro

Thanks! I haven't tried drifting them a little back in- seems like a good idea. Will try.
Old February 24, 2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Ronbo1

sight

Changed to a partridge sight on my 6 inch Python no problem. Laid the sight on a small block of wood and pins came out with a few hammer taps with a punch.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln