The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 17, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
David the Gnome

A Better Looking Model 60

When I purchased my S&W Model 60 it had some pretty ratty looking Pachmayrs on it. The Pachmayrs were very comfortable but they were in really terrible condition and far too sticky for CCW. I had some Hogue badger grips that I had on my previous S&W 642 which I was using in the meantime on my Model 60. The Badger grips don't really work for me because the finger grooves force my hand into an uncomfortable position. I ordered a new set of S&W diamond wood grips from Midway USA and got them installed the other day. The grip screw they sent was a K-frame grip screw and was way too long. I cut it down with my dremel and it turned out okay. I will be replacing that screw whenever I do my next order however.

And after 15 seconds worth of work with some red Testors paint, a nice improvement to the factory sights:

And for comparison purposes, the old Hogues:

Old May 17, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
pogo2

Altamont dymondwood

Its too bad the rosewood Badger grips in your last picture didn't suit you, as they are very attractive.

I recently bought a model 60 and installed Altamont dymondwood boot grips on it, in the silver black color. I don't mind having to wrap my pinky around the bottom, as these conceal very well.

Old May 17, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
David the Gnome

Can you post some pics of the sights lined up? I am interested to see just how they look. I have considered painting my front sight, just never have gotten around to it.

My model 60 is still sporting the "Uncle Mike's" rubber grips that have been on it for years. Conceals well enough and shoots just fine. Hope that you are happy with your new grips!

Now, go figure...
Old May 17, 2009, 07:15 PM   #4
longranger

Mix the paint in a dab of clear epoxy then paint on front sight.It will make the paint chip and wear proof.