The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2005, 04:33 PM   #1
unclestu

Mossberg/Maverick question

Do the Mossberg 500 & Maverick 88 pump shotguns have a smaller receiver in 20 ga, or are they all built on the 12 ga size receiver? Just wondered: this morning's paper had a classified ad for a nice little house gun: Mossberg 500, 20 ga, 18.5" bbl, never fired, $185. I shouldn't, but if it's a ligher slimmer shotgun, I just might!
Old May 24, 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
rugerdude

I can't say for sure but I think there may be some difference in size. To check this go to the website and compare the pictures. However, the difference won't be all that dramatic (I have handled a 12 and 20ga. 870 and I can't recall how much smaller and slimmer the 20's reciever was if it was any smaller at all)

That is a good gun, especially the price. I have the 12ga. full-sized maverick 88 and after about 700 rounds, I have not ONCE had a single jam ever. Much better than I would expect from a 140 dollar gun. I expect the 500 is of even higher quality.

If you want it, get it. That is a good price and it would be a great HD gun.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:15 PM   #3
unclestu

Thanks, that's all I need is encouragement! I already have a 12 ga Maverick 88 silver finish, 20" cyl bore bbl, full length magazine, so it's not like I don't already have a house gun. Still...