The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 19, 2015, 06:24 PM   #126
Dan-O

I guess so. Not something I'll ever use.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:53 AM   #127
osbornk

Quote:
There's a reason why some guns are cheaper than others. Rossi MIGHT make a good revolver now, but their history of making crap ones and knowing I'm gonna take a loss big time on one if it doesn't measure up keeps me away. I don't need to touch a hot stove to know it will burn me.
You sound like I sounded when I was shopping for a new car in 2011. Based on what I had heard from car snobs, I never dreamed I would own a Kia. Because of the price and features, I looked at a Kia Optima and oddly enough, I bought it. Based on 64,000 miles, it is the best car I have owned out of the 70+ I have had.

I went through the same thing with Taurus pistols and found the reality far better than the gun snobs said.

When I was young, Japanese products were junk and American products were much better. However, now.................................
Old August 20, 2015, 10:41 AM   #128
weblance

Just ordered my 462... Cant wait. Thanks for the pics Dan-O
Old August 20, 2015, 10:57 AM   #129
Dan-O

Yessir Weblance. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old August 20, 2015, 05:51 PM   #130
dakota1911

As others have said even if the new ones are great there have been a lot in the past that were not great.
Old August 20, 2015, 08:51 PM   #131
Doc Holliday 1950

Lets put this right. Rossi years ago up until the past 4 or 5 years was junk. Todays Rossi are better. However, it still has CQ problems like with finish and barrel line up etc. The blued makes are not like S&W or Ruger.

How many OF's out there remember the VW Bug?? I do. Their van in a high wind or to sharp a turn flipped and actually folded up like a pancake. In Winter you'd freeze your ____ off. Today WV sells for over $20 K and up. Their cars are pretty good. Rossi is not S&W nor Ruger, but it seems like a bunch of responders really like their Rossi's and it seems that they are actually getting better.

Maybe someday they will be super. Not yet, but someday.
All I know is that my 461 is super accurate from 5 to 25 yards and goes bang every time.If I need to show pic of the accuracy of the 461, I will get them and have the Range Master initial or sign off on it. He too carry's the 462 model as his go to snub. This man is ex Ranger and ex LEO. Him I trust 100%. So after quite a few 38 specP+rounds and 125 Gr. 357 rounds I've had Zero problems and i'm actually enjoying shooting. I'm not going to sell my Rugers. That would be insane. Just stating that I like the Rossi and enjoy it.

I'd like to add that if it wasn't for the Forum, I would never have gotten the info to purchase my Rugers. I'm not a collector nor do I buy guns for monetary investments. You all are the collectors and experts. I totally respect that and am very happy I found the Forum. Again, my 2- Rugers and 1- 461 Rossi are absolutely working guns and not "Safe Queens" like my Python. If I ever but another gun, it will be a miracle if I'm still alive. I've carried since 1970 and only once have I had a problem. That was with My wife's LCR 357 mag. Couldn't open the chambers to load or reload. I had to send it back to Ruger who fixed it in less that one week. The Rossi's I've had have never never never given me any problems. i'm not advocating for Rossi. Don't care to do so. I'm just telling the Forum that today's Rossi is a much better gun than yesterday year.
Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; August 20, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:13 PM   #132
WVMountaineer

They are a fine firearm for sure. God Bless
Old August 20, 2015, 09:18 PM   #133
WVMountaineer

They are a fine firearm for sure. I don't care if Jimmy's brother, who is cousins with Ray's younger sister, who knows Billy Bobs granddad, who works over at Walmart with Ronnie, who's dad bought one 12 years ago and had a problem with it, says differently.

God Bless men
Old August 21, 2015, 09:29 AM   #134
Dan-O

Took some pics of the kids:

Old August 21, 2015, 10:57 AM   #135
tulsamal

Quote:
How many OF's out there remember the VW Bug?? I do. Their van in a high wind or to sharp a turn flipped and actually folded up like a pancake. In Winter you'd freeze your ____ off. Today WV sells for over $20 K and up. Their cars are pretty good.
You can't be serious. The original VW Beetle is the most successful and produced car in the history of the world. I've owned five of them. If I could go into the Vw dealer right now and buy an exact brand new 73 Super Beetle for < $20k, I would be driving down there right now. Increasing pollution requirements finally forced VW to quit selling them here. Even though that little engine wasn't a problem to anybody.

My family owned a VW Van back in 1978 when we lived in West Germany. My parents lived in the Plittersdorf/Bad Godesburg area for nine years and drove that van as the family vehicle until they came back in 87. We used to buzz right down the autobahn once a month or so to get groceries in Wiesbaden at the PX. It was a fine vehicle although of course the high speed sedans used to blow right by us. Foot on the floor on the autobahn... it was about an 80-85 mph vehicle.

I liked it so much that I bought a 78 myself when I was in the Army. I drove that Van all over the place and one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I sold it. Mostly because I had other vehicles and no room in the garage. I would be totally thrilled to have it back. They were easy to drive, got great gas mileage, had room for lots of people or "stuff."

Go look at some used prices for original Beetles and Vans and compare those prices to so many of the junk cars that were produced in the same time period.

And VW's today must be "pretty good" since they are now the #1 automaker in the world. Once was GM, then Ford, then Toyota... now it is VW. My wife drives a VW Golf TDI back and forth to work every day. 50 miles per gallon and it has 360,xxx miles on the clock. VW rates that TDI engine at 500k miles. Usually everything else in the car falls apart before the engine.

Her next one will probably be the VW Golf Wagon TDI. Haven't driven one yet but the upcoming 2016 looks promising.
Old August 21, 2015, 11:26 AM   #136
Jim243

Quote:
What's that thing on the back of the hammer, below the spur? A safety?
It is a gun lock, it is a standard feature on all Taurus handguns. You do not need to scratch up your frame with a manual trigger lock, you just turn the screw (nut) and the gun locks up so your kids can not shot themselves.

You can use it or not, the choice is up to you.

Jim
Old August 21, 2015, 03:17 PM   #137
Doc Holliday 1950

Yes,
All Taurus and Rossi have the same safety feature to make the guns not able to fire. I actually also think it's a good addition and it prevents "accidental" firing.
Doc
Old August 22, 2015, 02:45 PM   #138
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
It is a gun lock, it is a standard feature on all Taurus handguns. You do not need to scratch up your frame with a manual trigger lock, you just turn the screw (nut) and the gun locks up so your kids can not shot themselves.
I'm skeptical about any "kill switch" on a gun that requires a separate tool or key that can be dropped, fumbled, or lost. While I haven't heard of the Taurus locks accidentally engaging themselves, I have read some cases of it happening to Smith and Wesson's. Especially since I won't use it, I don't like having any extra mechanical systems that could fatally fail. I'm perfectly comfortable with the methods used for the majority of firearms without such devices to prevent kids from shooting themselves.

On an aesthetic note, at least the Taurus lock doesn't blemish the frame like S&W's.
Old August 27, 2015, 02:10 PM   #139
weblance

Picked up my 462 today. Wow... Really nice revolver. I haven't shot it. Fit and finish is perfect. Nice short DA trigger, Single Action is very nice, lock up is tight. Everything is nice and smooth, better than my New Taurus, and Charters. Very high polish, much brighter that my Ruger SP101. Might get the chance this coming Monday to make it dirty... I still don't know why a small frame 6 shot 357 isn't an item in every manufacturers catalog. They all offer a 5 shot 357, but only Rossi currently has a 6 shot 357

Old August 27, 2015, 04:06 PM   #140
Vet66

Just had my 851 out for a little target practice again today. I can't understand how they build what to me, seems like a quality piece for so little money.
Great shooter, very accurate, great trigger and, very good high polish deep blue finish. At the range I get the "That's a Rossi? Wow, nice"
Old August 27, 2015, 05:31 PM   #141
tallball

Steel isn't very expensive. I am guessing that they already own the manufacturing equipment, and that Brazilian labor is cheaper than US labor.

They can sell them cheaper than S&W or Ruger and still make a profit.
Old August 28, 2015, 02:08 PM   #142
Dan-O

Just got my Tommy Theis holster for my 461/462. As always, fit and finish are top notch.

Old August 28, 2015, 02:58 PM   #143
Doc Holliday 1950

Absolutely super looking. I notice your grips are different from my new one. My 461 is not smooth like yours, but has finger indentations and because I have a smaller hand it really fits me. What's the difference? You can see it in the pic from Buds.
Doc
Old August 28, 2015, 04:02 PM   #144
Dan-O

Pachmayr Grips
Old August 28, 2015, 04:13 PM   #145
Doc Holliday 1950

Got it. My grips are a construction of stippled surface, pliable textured outer rubber coating, with hardened polymer interior. They, to me, are very comfortable and absolutely fits my hand.
Doc
Old August 29, 2015, 11:06 AM   #146
V-fib

Rossi judge in 22lr 22mag

I have the rossi judge in .22lr and 22mag. Love it! very accurate and my 9 shot Taurus .22lr speedloader fits it. I hoping Rossi makes a judge in .38/.357mag.

v-fib
Old August 30, 2015, 03:52 PM   #147
weblance

Looks like your all set Dan-O. Nice holster
Old August 30, 2015, 05:56 PM   #148
WVMountaineer

Quote:
Just got my Tommy Theis holster for my 461/462. As always, fit and finish are top notch.
I use a Tommy Theis holster to conceal carry some of my Rossi's and love it as well. Very comfortable. God Bless
Old September 14, 2015, 08:11 PM   #149
weblance

Mini Range Report

I got a chance to shoot my 462 today. Nice revolver. Shot perfectly. I was shooting Wolf Gold 158 gr. 357s. Every shot went to point of aim. Fired brass extracted nicely, and showed no bulges, or damage. Primers were hit strongly, but not cratered. The trigger is nice in DA, superb in SA. I did have to take the sharp edges off the hammer spur with a file, but that's a common thing with a new revolver.

I am very pleased with this revolver. I paid just a few dollars less than $300 for my 462, and in my opinion, it could cost another $150 and still be a good deal. Its nicely finished, all edges are smooth, and everything fits nicely. The action is smooth, and its a pleasure to look at. The grip is well done, and I dont feel the urgent need to replace it. I felt no discomfort shooting 357s through this gun, and shooting 38s was a breeze. A+
Old September 15, 2015, 09:34 AM   #150
briandg

This post assumes that there is an inescapable connection between quality and price. Not to me.

The rossi revolvers I have looked at recently don't seem to be very good. Lockup is poor, and right there, you can extrapolate poor quality pretty much all around. It means that the metal was badly machined. Accuracy will probably be flawed, trigger will probably be sub par, and so forth. I don't believe that the ones I have looked at would hold up for decades of use.

In that case, price doesn't figure. It's not a good gun. Over rated? Some people say that it's a good gun because it is cheap and it works better than the terrible examples of the past. I consider it to still not be good enough to buy, whatever the price.

Of course, once again, based only on the experience of handling a few at gun counters.