Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 16, 2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Armorer-at-Law

ATF To Join NYPD In Fighting NYC Gun Crimes

CBS2 Exclusive: ATF To Join NYPD In Fighting New York City Gun Crimes

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/...atf-gun-crime/

From the article:
Quote:
Those agencies are mounting a first-ever anti-gun initiative in high-crime areas.
(Emphasis mine.)
Quote:
“Of course, when the ATF gets involved with our resources and our tracing expertise, we’ll be able to figure out if weapon is part of an interstate trafficking operation,” Mulham said.
A pretty bold statement from an agency that released hundreds of firearms into the hands of people expected to traffic them to Mexican drug cartels with no plan to "track" them, only to trace them when they show up at crime scene.
Old June 16, 2015, 12:01 PM   #2
rickyrick

Guns are strictly controlled there

Should be a gravy job

Wink wink jab jab
Old June 16, 2015, 12:16 PM   #3
csmsss

ATF fighting gun crimes or gun OWNERS? Past experiences would suggest the latter.
Old June 16, 2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
“Of course, when the ATF gets involved with our resources and our tracing expertise, we’ll be able to figure out if weapon is part of an interstate trafficking operation,” Mulham said.
In other words, let's blame all the guns traced to out-of-state sources and blame those states for our problems. Michael Bloomberg mined that strategy quite well, going so far as to set up highly illegal stings at gun dealers in Georgia and South Carolina.

Quote:
And when the feds get involved, Mulham warned, “In many cases, the punishment is more severe.”
On the prosecution side, it would be nice if they got involved now and then. I'm all for punishing those who use guns to commit criminal acts. The problem is, the gun charges are frequently dropped as part of a plea package.

Quote:
“They can be people with non-violent backgrounds, but have a felony nonetheless, and now arrested with a weapon.”
Newsflash: they don't need the federal government for that. Most states have their own laws to prosecute felons in possession of firearms.

I don't know. This whole thing smells like a publicity stunt and little more.
Old June 16, 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
357 Python

With their efforts in "Fast and Furious" and the death of a Border Patrol Agent the BATFE should arrest itself.
Old June 16, 2015, 03:40 PM   #6
ronl

Stupid is as stupid does. I just have to shake my head sometimes. I guess it's more of Bloomberg's obsessive-compulsive reaction to the private ownership of guns. Like most every "crime" initiative they propose, it probably has very little to do with real crime on the street. I'd like to see how much impact it has and get the real numbers from someone, not NYPD or ATF. Another waste of taxpayer money. NYC went to the dark side many years ago, they get what they deserve.
Old June 16, 2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Tinbucket

ATF to Join NYPD in Fighting NYC Gun crimes

What possible new could they do?
They can go about harassing the few permitted Owners and recending permits and seizing their guns.
How is it the Federal Government's perview to go after anyone owning, possessing or bearing a firearm?
Our Government ought to be going after NYC for denying Citizens their Rights.
Are they going to pick up Bloomber's program of sending Agents, undercover to deceive and make false statements to buy firearms in other states?
There should be some warrants ,in Tn, Va etc for Bloomberg and his agents for buying firearms, with false identities and lying on BATFE forms, several years ago.
The only ones they could go after is ones that own firearms.
They are not going to stop traffic, invade homes, and stop pedestrians and conduct a 100% accountabilty search like Maryland did on the Interstate?
Maybe they will do a rewards for tip line?
Old June 16, 2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They can go about harassing the few permitted Owners and recending permits and seizing their guns.
Given that the state maintains a registry of pistols and "assault rifles," it's possible the ATF would jump at the chance to do some picking over that list.
Old June 16, 2015, 06:51 PM   #9
csmsss

Quote:
Given that the state maintains a registry of pistols and "assault rifles," it's possible the ATF would jump at the chance to do some picking over that list.
Can there be any doubt that they are already in possession of it and have been since its inception?
Old June 16, 2015, 10:06 PM   #10
bandaid1

Tom: "Given that the state maintains a registry of pistols and "assault rifles," it's possible the ATF would jump at the chance to do some picking over that list"

This was on the same line of thought I had. However, recently NY was told to hand over the numbers for how many "Semi Auto Rifles" people registered and the number is probable low. Maybe they are bringing in the AFT to go after those that did not register. With the ability to access licensed dealers records (throughout the USA) that might be their intention.
Old June 17, 2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Wasn't it the case that the Feds couldn't keep registrations of firearms. Thus, would having a copy of a state's list be banned from the Feds?
Old June 17, 2015, 12:41 PM   #12
csmsss

Quote:
Wasn't it the case that the Feds couldn't keep registrations of firearms. Thus, would having a copy of a state's list be banned from the Feds?
Because they've been so trustworthy and respectful of faithfully honoring the constraints they're supposed to operate under? Hahaha.

Actually, they're prevented from creating their own registry. I'm pretty sure the law is silent on them reading databases created by other agencies. And all that would need to be provided to the feebs is a user account with access to the data. I have no doubt a few bright BATF database developers have developed any manner of relational queries that allows them to combine SAFE databases with existing ATF records.

Last edited by csmsss; June 17, 2015 at 12:58 PM.