The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1
ron68

bp carteidge

Is it possible to purchase a black powder or other low pressure cartridge suitable for use in brass framed relover conversions? Thanks
Old December 2, 2007, 04:23 PM   #2
mykeal

I am not aware of any black powder cartridges that are intended for use in brass framed revolvers with cartridge conversions. There are no cartridge conversion cylinders that are made for use in brass framed revolvers, either, as far as I know.
Old December 2, 2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Is it possible to purchase a black powder or other low pressure cartridge suitable for use in brass framed relover conversions? Thanks
No, only steel frames are suitable for conversion.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:04 AM   #4
KW-Bane

I would NOT recommend using a conversion cylinder in a brass frame "BP" revolver!

There are much better ways to test fate

Your best bet is to find a steel frame BP if you are determind to have the conversion.

I have a '58 .44cal. New Army & '51 .36cal. Navy (Peitta's) that I bought conversion cylinders. Both are "STEEL" frame and they are very fun to shoot as well as accurate. I reload my own bullets for both, and I load them in the "mild range".

Again....cartridge ammo is not recommended for brass framed BP revolver's...period!
Old December 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #5
44capnball

even though it's not recommended it really seems to not make sense.

When you think about it, the brass cartridge case absorbs a lot of the pressure. For example if a case defect blows out in a smokeless gun, the chamber can blow out too. I know the frames do stretch in brass frame, but you'd think it would be worse with loose powder. Again, not saying to try a conversion cylinder in a brass frame. I think a lot of it has to do w/ lawyers. Somebody will sooner or later put a full house load thru one of those cylinders and a brass frame definitely can't handle that.

I would be interested to see someone test pressures... maybe 15 grains FFFg in a 51 navy, vs. 15 grains FFFg in a 38 S&W conversion cylinder. If it would fit in that little cartridge. Well you should at least do 10 (never tried the 38 S&W so I don't know its capacity without looking it up).