The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 1, 2013, 11:30 PM   #101
JN01

That reminds me of the kind of idiocy produced when Ohio first passed its concealed carry law. Even with a license, you were not permitted to have the gun concealed in a vehicle- resulting in the "Buckeye Tuck" where you had to stuff your cover garment behind the holstered handgun. Fortunately, that was changed a short time later.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #102
pat701

$150 for a 5 year permit seems like a good deal. retired Illinois LEO's pay $75 a year to carry either a semi-auto or a revolver, or $100 a year to carry both semi-auto or a revolver, we also must qualify at a range. This is under "IROC" Federal bill H.R.218. I have paid the $75 a year for 5 years since i retired.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:46 AM   #103
L2R

New breeding ground for crime

So with this new bill and the understanding that thugs like gun free zones, then it stands to reason that public transportation will become the new target for crimes.

This is a good step and over time, I hope this gets fixed but for now I don't see this reducing crime; I see it shifting from the street to the bus. In fact, it helps the thief who can now rob many in a confined area as opposed to holding up 1 person / crime on the side street.

Were I a mass transit driver, I would immediately start looking for other employment and IF they want to catch the thieves, they will have to start putting officers on the mass transit like Airlines use US Marshalls.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #104
+1k ammo

My silly Chicago Firearms Permit cost me way more in fees, time etc. than 150.00. 16 hours does sound like a lot, but I had fun in my previous class for the CFP, so I don't care. But it will limit the amount of people able to get it. You have to find time off and have money.

Regardless, I have been waiting for years for this and am very happy. We will see how long useless Quinn will be in his office to sign, but it will be soon.

I wish this had happened a few months earlier. My Father just passed recently and we were watching this news together all the time. He would be pleased.

But the bus/CTA thing is interesting and that will play out. I could drive/bike/transit to work depending on weather because I am only 4 miles from downtown. What if I walk part and then jump on a bus!!! How can I do that? Do I leave my weapon with the bus driver? It won't affect me much as I don't take the bus a lot, but MILLIONS take the system every day. 1.6 Million per day.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:52 AM   #105
Luger_carbine

Quote:
IF they want to catch the thieves, they will have to start putting officers on the mass transit like Airlines use US Marshalls.
The CTA's workers union - Amalgamated Transit Union Local 308, successfully negotiated replacing 450 CTA security jobs with union workers.

The private security firm employees undergo a background check, 20 hours of security training, and 8 hours of CTA-specific training. The CTA workers have not undergone a background check, will not undergo a background check and will get a grand total of 16 hours of security-ish training.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3224004.html
Old June 3, 2013, 05:08 PM   #106
Mike38

I heard on Chicago radio station WLS-AM that a person with a Hunter’s Safety Certificate only has to take 8 hours of training for Illinois CCW instead of the 16 hours. Any truth to that? If so, my Hunter’s Safety class that I took with my Daughter 10 years ago just for the fun of it sure comes in handy now.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:08 AM   #107
ThesNazud

Well, color me surprised... Apparently Madigan has decided to ask for a 30 day extension so that our illustrious governor can properly review the bill before signing it into law as according to the Illinois constitution he has 60 days.

This to me sounds like a stall tactic for her to finish her appeal to SCOTUS and ask for cert...

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-76155263/
Old June 7, 2013, 04:20 AM   #108
Tejicano

What the Heck?

It is like the governor does not understand that come Monday the law banning concealed carry in Illinois will be null and void. The law on the books will be un-enforceable.

So... I wonder if the police in some jurisdictions plan to simply continue enforcing this voided law as if nothing had happened?
Old June 7, 2013, 06:16 AM   #109
cecILL

The Attorney General of Madison County has said if you have your Firearm Owners ID, you can carry concealed in his county.
Old June 7, 2013, 08:42 AM   #110
Scimmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejicano
What the Heck?

It is like the governor does not understand that come Monday the law banning concealed carry in Illinois will be null and void. The law on the books will be un-enforceable.

So... I wonder if the police in some jurisdictions plan to simply continue enforcing this voided law as if nothing had happened?
They will because nothing will happen by Monday. Read the post before yours, Madigan got a 30 day extension so nothing happens until July 9th.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:15 PM   #111
Tejicano

I heard/read that she had applied for the 30 day extension. I had not heard or read that it was granted yet.
Old June 8, 2013, 04:06 PM   #112
press1280

She got her 30 days.

I'm curious how the state will try to prosecute someone under a law that's been found unconstitutional(even though the CA7's mandate is not in effect)?
Old June 15, 2013, 01:45 PM   #113
cobra81

Things are changing in Illinois!

Not fast enough, granted, but as a 50-year resident, I never thought I'd see the day a local State's Attorney would make a statement like this: The fight is far from over, but there is a feeling of forward movement that has been absent for so long, that this type of news is cause for celebration!
Old June 15, 2013, 02:38 PM   #114
TXAZ

I dont live there but is it possible this is a sea change or a different prosecutor may pick it up?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 15, 2013, 02:42 PM   #115
Jen-from-IL

Things are changing in Illinois!

It seems to be that the 'red' counties are wanting to make some statements. I'm in McLean County, so wondering how our SA will go.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:02 PM   #116
Webleymkv

Quote:
It seems to be that the 'red' counties are wanting to make some statements. I'm in McLean County, so wondering how our SA will go.
I suspect that they're probably fed up with some of the northern counties being so obstinate about the issue. Had Chicago-area politicians been willing to compromise on the issue years ago, I suspect that IL would have a may-issue systems that would amount to de-facto shall-issue throughout most of downstate and no-issue in the Chicago area except for a chosen few. However, since Chicago has thrown its weight around insisting on no-issue for the entire state for so long, downstate probably isn't feeling too conciliatory since the shoe is now on the other foot.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:57 PM   #117
Spats McGee
Staff

Have merged a couple of threads to keep this all in one spot.

At the same time, WOW!
Old June 15, 2013, 09:45 PM   #118
vytoland

The bill has past both houses and is siting on the governor's desk for him to sign. He can veto or change but they say they have the votes to override his veto or any radical changes he wants to add. The states attorney got him a 30 day extension to study the bill. So now its July 9th when it will be enacted.

The Illinois State Police have 180 days to enact the rules for the 16 hours training and licensing

lets not get all warm and fuzzy just yet..........180 days???? yeah ok and let me know if there are any front row seats left for the buddy holly concert next week.....

the ISP are currently behind 6 to 9 months in processing FOID applications (the law says it must be done in 30 days, but who's counting)

a. an application form needs to be created
b. a firearms course developed
c. instructors and range locations for firearm qualification

when and IF this is accomplished, a lot of us will be DEAD from old age
Old June 17, 2013, 02:23 PM   #119
raimius

Does it still have the myriad of public places restrictions?
Old June 25, 2013, 10:29 AM   #120
Luger_carbine

Quote:
Does it still have the myriad of public places restrictions?
Yes

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/21/il...its-not-funny/

This article details the restrictions and gives a summary of the current situation with concealed carry in Illinois.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:48 PM   #121
motorhead0922

Section 65 looks very much like Missouri's restrictions.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=85&GA=98

In Missouri, carrying in one of these places is less than a slap on the wrist (i.e. you have to leave). The penalties in section 70 are almost as low, at least the first time.

Section 90 has good home rule preemption. No Chicago special ordinances!
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:52 PM   #122
Glenn E. Meyer

Some are quite similar to TX. I wouldn't be that upset. Once in place, they can be modified - although that might be hard in IL.

For example, even in gun friendly TX - campus carry has been a flop and supposedly gun friendly governors haven't stood up.
Old June 26, 2013, 03:01 PM   #123
maestro pistolero

Once people get a taste of freedom, blood doesn't 'run in the streets', and there are no 'wild west shootouts', attitudes will begin to shift even more. People who can generally carry concealed will more clearly begin to see the folly of many T, P, and M restrictions.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:01 PM   #124
CowTowner

Sorry to go off topic a tad here, but I couldn't help myself.

Quote:
For example, even in gun friendly TX -
I refer to our state as gun tolerant. We're not quite to the friendly side just yet.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 26, 2013, 06:52 PM   #125
Dr Big Bird PhD

I'd say the people are gun-friendly, and the government is gun tolerant
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor