The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2009, 06:47 PM   #51
bbrian

Japle -

At what point of the mugging do you put in the ear plugs?
Old January 25, 2009, 06:52 PM   #52
Eskimo

Quote:
It's better to be prepared for a situation and not have one than to have a situation and not be prepared.
One could argue that it's better to go unprepared because that "situation" is extremely unlikely, and to prepare for that situation costs 500+ dollars and discomfort.

Taking risks is a part of life.. and I would hardly even call going unarmed a risk. I think even one pistol is overkill for the many people that don't live in very bad areas.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:26 PM   #53
jdscholer

It would sure be a shame to be packin three or four guns and have some bad guy who is quick and savy knock ya along side the head and take em all. And I've known guys who could do it. jd
Old January 25, 2009, 07:28 PM   #54
dmwphoto

yes
Old January 25, 2009, 07:38 PM   #55
supergas452M

Quote:
Not sure if it's a matter of over-kill, and at times a B.U.G. might seem necessary. However, it's a mute point in NM since it's illegal to CC more than one. If your state says otherwise, maybe you can make it work...I've always felt that what you have in your mag should be sufficient in a defensive posture. Anything beyond that: "cover & the Calvary".... The endless points of a failure in your primary piece are narrowly restricted to those that are unfamiliar with their weapon. Let me count the ways.......
Interesting that you brought that up Magyar. When I took my CCW class, the instuctor told us that if you have a Utah Permit, which New Mexico recognizes you could carry more than one CCW. One of the myriad of reasons I decided to get the Utah permit first. He told us that he carries more than one CCW. He is however part time LEO. I wonder what the truth of this whole deal is with New Mexico and an out of state permit.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:06 PM   #56
Lost Sheep

One gun

When I carry (which is seldom) I will normally carry just my Ruger SP101 .357 Mag 5 shot revolver. With a speedloader.

The speedloader is a second SP101. (also sometimes known as a "New York Reload")

However, once, when I knew I might be in harm's way, I did carry two 1911s.

But then, my environment is pretty well controlled. If my lifestyle, neighborhood or job were more risky or less under my control, I would be more vigilant and pack heavier firepower.

Lost Sheep
Old January 25, 2009, 08:11 PM   #57
Semper Paratus

I shoot a fair number of rounds through my primary carry pistol a DW Pre CZ CBOB, like 2-3K/yr. I almost always clean and lube before reloading and leaving the range. Times like that with my primary in parts on the bench I am glad to have my S&W Model 60 in a pocket holster.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:37 PM   #58
JTMcC

This is still America so carry what makes you happy.

The "two spare tire" comment is innacurate, in this case your first gun is just that, your second gun would be your spare.

I don't think two is overkill be it guns, flashlights, knives, sweatshirts or any number of other things that I carry backups for.
But I'm primarily in remote rural areas, where if you didn't bring it with you, you go without.
My truck has enought cold weather gear to survive a breakdown at night in the sticks, some simple "emergency" type food, spare firearms, spare ammo, batteries, lot's of things I'll hopefully not need to break out. But if I do, it's right there.

When I was a kid I worked in a shop in Northern Arizona and drove the wrecker most days. I was amazed at the number of people I winched out of the snow, who were freezing, wearing t-shirts, (because that's all they had) and saying "we thought Arizona was a desert"!

I'll add that I'm a lot more likely to have to deal with a pack of wild dogs than a pack of wild humans, but in either case I'd rather have more than I need.

Not everyone is living in the same circumstances that you are, needs and requirements differ widely from area to area and person to person.

JTMcC
Old January 25, 2009, 08:46 PM   #59
oldhack62

Carrying a gun at all is overkill -- except when it isn't. And THAT, of course, is why those of us here carry -- in defense of the odd time when it isn't.
Regarding a BUG: I find a high-capacity mag is usually comforting, but if clothing and circumstances allow a second, concealed (although my state doesn't require concealment) pistol, I'll carry one.
We prepare for the worst so that, hopefully, we never have to face it.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:52 PM   #60
btolliverjr

It probably is "over-kill". Most likely carrying 1 gun is probably "over-kill" since the probability of ever having to use one is very low. That being said, I usually carry 2 anymore. Basically just becuase my LCP stays in my pants pocket all the time. 99% of the time, I also carry my M&P 9c IWB. It's not that I feel anymore safe with 2 guns than I do 1, I just carry both becuase I don't even realize the LCP is there. If my second gun were any bigger than the LCP, I wouldn't carry a B.U.G.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:18 PM   #61
Corpsman

Since I am in the Coast Guard, I dont have access to the cool toys like ISC. But I am a medic, so if the gun fails I can always just sedate them. Then it gives me time to correct the issue with my weapon.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:20 PM   #62
1BigOak

its not overkill when you take a wrong turn and end up in the wrong hood
Old January 26, 2009, 05:06 AM   #63
SilentHitz

...or live in the hood, like me. And before anyone says move, PM me and I'll give you the addy to send the cash to.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:46 AM   #64
WESHOOT2

a good question

Mr. Smith offers an eloquent opinion on this 'issue': "One is none; two is one".

I agree.

My personal opinion (and behavior) mirror Mr. Smith's advice; two guns (or more) make perfect sense.
My answer is "No".
Old January 26, 2009, 08:23 AM   #65
garryc

It's not overkill for an LEO, so why would it be for a civilian. Heck, he even has a long gun in the car, plus one of his most effective weapons, his radio. If he calls "shot fired" every cop within ten miles comes running. Do you have any fantacy that you would get that responce? You wouldn't. Remember, that LEO's life is no more or less valuble than yours.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:37 AM   #66
heyjoe

Wether you carry one, two or no guns is your choice but to compare your tactical needs to a LEO is faulty logic. A LEO has a duty to go towards a problem and hold his position, you should be withdrawing yourself from a problem ASAP. No ones life is more important than anothers but the reason for people to carry and what their role is varies.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:39 AM   #67
Geoff Timm

Truly it is written, "37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.' "

Reference: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

Cross Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlock_Mercenary

Geoff
Who notes the "Habits of Highly Successful Pirates."
Old January 26, 2009, 08:44 AM   #68
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
"One is none; two is one".
LOL, that is one of Mr. Smith's nonsensical statements. He tried to make a good statment, but just had no clue on what he was saying in terms of his actual words.

If 1=0 and 2=1, then 2=0. In other words, if one is none and two is one, then two is also none. If two is none, then you are in the same place as where you started with one being none.

One isn't none unless something happens to it.

Why Smith didn't just call it a "backup" like everyone else is beyond me. "Backup" means just that.
Old January 26, 2009, 08:54 AM   #69
Geoff Timm

The local LEOs are equipped with:

Chemical spray
Taser
Glock
Back up gun
M-16A1 in the car

I note the absence of impact weapons, none of that Rodney King stuff on video here. Sigh.

Many years ago a Texas LEO carried a Model 66 4" in a shoulder holster and a Model 19 2 1/2" in a belt holster. When he worked dangerous arrests the small gun was in his hand, discretely. Those he admitted to, the bulge about where his cowboy boot top hit his pants leg I didn't inquire about.

Geoff
Who figures two guns gives you the fastest reload possible.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:05 AM   #70
WESHOOT2

understanding

If one does not understand (yet) the concept of "One is none..." then one is lucky.
So far.....

There is no nonsense when the primary firearm has failed.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:06 AM   #71
Alert

Quote:
Who figures two guns gives you the fastest reload possible.
isn't that called a New York reload? back on topic I looked at my license and it says one loaded pistol concealed on or about my person

Last edited by Alert; January 26, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:16 AM   #72
armsmaster270

Sig 226 .357Sig in holster and S&W 340PD in pocket always. If I dont need them Oh well. If I do I don't have time to go home to get them.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:17 AM   #73
WESHOOT2

Alert

You gotta get a btter "license".......
Old January 26, 2009, 09:22 AM   #74
alistaire

Quote:
My wife and I took my mom out to eat last night.
Here's what I had with me:
Ear plugs??? Hm, I suppose if I were a mugger and my victim calmly inserted ear plugs, I might decide to rob someone else.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:26 AM   #75
Wagonman

I am a big believer in two is one, I carry three lights on me and one in my bag, two guns, three pairs of cuffs two cuff keys, three knives, multi tools and most importantly four pens.

Why is there a snide comparison of LEOs equipment choices. A CCW's and a LEO have different missions. A LEO has to handle a given situation A CCW has to safely leave a given situation.

That said, I feel you should carry whatever you feel you comfortable with if it is three guns with reloads ----God Bless If it's a Snubbie jammed in a pocket----God Bless. Vive le difference.

Last edited by Wagonman; January 26, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Closed Thread