The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
12GaugeShuggoth

Modern 1 in 66" twist choices?

I've been thinking of picking up a new ML soon, and really want to transition away from the modern inlines some.......but I'm definitely working with a budget here. I'm tempted to compromise and get something a little hybridized like a Traditions Deerhunter simply for the sake of price, but would much prefer a longer barrel (at least 30" bare minimum) and am inclined toward a 1 in 66" twist rate over the 1 in 48".........but I haven't come up with any options through my google efforts.

It seems like once you want a barrel that's longer than 26" and geared towards shooting round ball, there's a price jump of several hundred dollars to overcome. Am I missing some make/model that's currently available, or am I stuck in a decision of compromise? Any suggestions are appreciated.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 10, 2012, 12:11 AM   #2
B.L.E.

All I can think of is Lyman's Great Plains Rifle, a half stock rifle similar to the Hawkin Rifle.
You could also buy a TC Hawkin with a trashed barrel for cheap and then see if you can find a Green Mountain interchangable drop in barrel for it.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Hawg

Lyman GPR or if you can find one a CVA mountain rifle has a 1:66 twist and a 33 inch barrel.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Roshi

Lyman!

I owned a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber for years. Built it from a kit. Accurate and well balanced.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
B.L.E.

Unfortunately, Green Mountain no longer makes their legendary roundball twist drop in replacement barrels for TC Hawkin rifles but Log Cabin Muzzleloading seems to still have some of them in stock.
The 50 caliber barrels are 32 inches long and have a 1 in 70 inch twist.
http://logcabinonline.com/index1.html
You might consider grabbing one of these and then look for a used TC Hawkin to put it in.

GM still makes muzzleloading roundball barrel blanks that you or a good gunsmith has to install a breech plug on and cut sight dovetails etc on, but it seems like the bulk of their business today is 10-22 and AR-15 target barrels.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6
12GaugeShuggoth

Thanks for the replies, that's pretty much matching up with what I've been seeing. Gonna try to get out and handle a few rifles soon, for now just sticking with my CVA Optima and Traditions Yukon that have served me well until I can find one that feels right.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE