The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 20, 2022, 12:53 PM   #1
hammie

Husqvarna Stuck in Stock

A while ago, the wife was in a local gun shop and saw a .30-06, Husqvarna 1600 series rifle on the shelf. She likes Husqvarna things and so brought the rifle home. The rifle is essentially a small ring commercial mauser action.
The barreled action appears to be in at least 90% condition. Somewhere along the line, a previous owner re-stocked it with what appears to be either a Fajen or Bishop stock (if anyone remembers those). I've had other higher priority projects, and just now got the rifle out of the safe.

The trigger is very "muddy". It feels like you're pulling through glue, and the trigger re-sets very slowly. The problem is that when I tried to remove the action from the stock, the action won't come out. Someone epoxied the action in the stock and forgot to use a releasing agent.

I'm not real hopeful, but is there a method or an old indian trick for removing an action which is stuck in the bedding? The floor plate and magazine box drop out easily. I've tried placing a 3/4 inch bolt against the bottom of the action and then hitting the bolt with a hammer, but nothing budges. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited by hammie; August 20, 2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old August 20, 2022, 01:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a special tool, but I bet the stock will break when you try to separate them. My tool is to separate a barrel action from a glass bedded stock --- but as pointed out you need release agent.

The tool is only three major components. One part looks like a big cylinder and fits over the receiver. There is a relief cut for the bolt release on a K98k. There is a piece of round stock that has a threaded hole in the center. A threaded rod goes throught the cylinder like thing, down into round stock. By tightening down on the rod, it lifts the receiver against the cylinder which holds the stock down.

If that action is indeed glass bedded into the stock, that stock will break.
Old August 20, 2022, 02:21 PM   #3
hammie

@4V50 Gary: I'm not too concerned about breaking the stock. I'm not really enamored of the present one. Surprisingly boyd's offers replacement stocks for the husqvarna: their laminate, and even solid walnut and maple. I just want to figure out a way to remove the action without damaging the metal.

Of course, another option is to do nothing. Just shoot it and see how it groups.
Old August 20, 2022, 04:16 PM   #4
Scorch

Two ways I have used-
1- Put the rifle into a chest freezer for 24 hours. The metal contracts more than the epoxy and will release as you get close to 0 degrees F.

If that fails-
2- Heat the metal with a propane torch SLOWLY until you reach about 350-400 degrees F. Be very careful around the wood! Wear gloves to separate the stock from the barreled action.

I have used these methods many times over the years as either a customer or I have glued a barreled action into the stock.
Old August 20, 2022, 04:46 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Scorch - you smart.
Old August 20, 2022, 06:29 PM   #6
hammie

@Scorch: Thanks. I knew someone here would have ideas. I don't have near your skill sets, and the torch frightens me a little. Afraid of compromising the heat treatment or damaging the blueing. But I'll try the freezer method.
Old August 21, 2022, 12:28 PM   #7
natman

I bought a rifle that had been epoxied into the stock and the freezer method worked great. I had a standup freezer and had to remove a couple of shelves to get the rifle to fit, but I came out in the morning and the stock came right off.