The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2015, 01:11 PM   #1
archangel2003

Reloading 300 BLK compared to 7.62x39 questions

So, they say the 300 BLK is somewhat/about the American equivalent of the Russian 7.62X39.

If so, since the 300 BLK can be subsonic with heavier projectiles and remain effective, how about the possibility of loading the 7.62X39 subsonic with heavier projectiles?

I know the AK action is as loud as a garbage truck cycling it systems but if it were a single shot or bolt rifle, any ideas?

If it's not obvious by the question, I have yet to learn reloading.
I have read up a ton and if need be could probably cobble something safe to fire, but the world has not come to an end yet.
Old November 14, 2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Sharkbite

If you are talking about ammo for a bolt gun or single shot X39 can be loaded subsonic too.

The issue is bullet availability. The blkout uses .308 projectiles, lots of those up into the 220gn + weights.

The X39 uses .311/312 size projectiles and those don't come that heavy.

You can run the standard weight (123 gn) bullets at subsonic velocities but i dont see the point, unless you have a X39 boltgun and a can and just want the giggle factor of REALLY quiet ammo