The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2015, 08:19 PM   #1
GunGuru

Trouble With Berry's Plated Bullets

I'm using a set of RCBS reloading dies for 9mm and my local shooting suppy store has a large stock of berrys plated 115 gr bullets. Whenever I load with them, the nose flattens out, sometimes almost to the point it could be considered a flat point. Is it that the bullets are too soft? Should I change Bullets? or is it the dies?
Old November 9, 2015, 08:43 PM   #2
condor bravo

The seating stem within the die is apparently a flat point where it should be for a rounded bullet. Perhaps the die manufacturer could furnish a round nose stem. An unlikely possibility might be that too much crimp is being applied by bullet seating and causing the flattening (or the combination of the two items). But the bullet tips are apparently a little soft also.
Old November 9, 2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Jeffm004

operator error. I've run with the wrong shaped seating stem and put a mark in the plate but never flattened anything. That's not right. Back everything out and start over, it is not the bullet.
Old November 9, 2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Perhaps the die manufacturer could furnish a round nose stem.
The die manufacturer (RCBS) does.

Use your round nose seater, it'll fix the problem. BTW, Berry's plated 115's are good bullets. Will make good general purpose range ammo.
Old November 9, 2015, 09:06 PM   #5
nogo

These are swaged bullets and therefore very soft even with the plating.
Old November 9, 2015, 10:14 PM   #6
4runnerman

I have been using Berry's 45 acp bullets for a few years now. Never had that problem. It has to take a lot to flatten the nose. Is the die set correct?.
Old November 9, 2015, 10:19 PM   #7
noylj

Swaged bullets today are mostly made using 92/6/2 alloy or very close and NOT the pure lead so many seem to believe. They also need to ship bullets and don't want deformed bullets in the box. Measure the hardness of the swaged bullets and you'll find they are in the 8-12 BHN range that is ideal for almost all handguns.
This isn't to say that PLATED bullets may not use softer lead (as I haven't used a plated bullet in at least 7 years and don't plan to), but commercial swaged lead bullets are NOT as soft as so many think.
Hornady says they use a 95/5 alloy.

Inspect the seating plug and bullet. A seating stem should NEVER touch the bullet meplat—except for full wadcutter bullet where you have no choice. Take the seating plug out and determine if it fits the bullet before you EVER start to seat bullets. Do this for every new bullet. Order a different or a custom seating plug. Don't assume some generic seating plug will work for every bullet.

Last edited by noylj; November 9, 2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old November 9, 2015, 11:09 PM   #8
jag2

Are you saying this doesn't happen with other bullets, like a FMJ? You should have a seater plug that works with round nose bullets, it should not be a flat. You need to check that first and like others said just start over with your die, take it apart and give it a good cleaning then refresh yourself on the die instructions and go from there.
Old November 9, 2015, 11:43 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Don't crimp while seating the bullets.
Crimp in a separate operation.
Old November 10, 2015, 01:06 AM   #10
hartcreek

As others have stated it has to be that you are using the wrong seating plug and WAY to much pressure. I have loaded thousands of the 115 grain Berrys 9mm. using RCBS dies with no problems. Use the correct plug. Your die set should have come with two of them like mine did.
Old November 10, 2015, 06:44 AM   #11
GunGuru

I never thought about the seating plugs before, so I went and looked and it turns out i had a round nose one and a flat nose one and i was using the flat node for the berry's bullets. I switched them and all is well. Thanks for the help.
Old November 10, 2015, 06:45 AM   #12
4runnerman

I think Frankenmauser hit it. Even the wrong seating plug would not deform the tip. I to think he is crimping and still seating at the same time.
Old November 10, 2015, 06:39 PM   #13
serf 'rett

^What they said.

Even with the wrong plug, you shouldn't get a large deformation of the bullet tip. You may need to adjust die or seat and crimp in separate steps.
Old November 11, 2015, 12:56 AM   #14
hartcreek

I am using the same dies as he is and adjusted correctly you can seat and crimp with the RCBS dies......heck I even use a roll crimp.
Old November 11, 2015, 11:49 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am using the same dies as he is and adjusted correctly you can seat and crimp with the RCBS dies......heck I even use a roll crimp.
I have the same dies, as well.

What really determines whether or not I need to crimp separately is how well a particular bullet and the cases that I'm using want to play together. Some just can't easily be crimped during seating, without trouble.
After I grew tired of dealing with a few finicky bullets, I simply went to 100% separate crimping.

(Loads worked up in single lots of brass, but then re-tested for usability in a dedicated lot of mixed brass that consists of two of each headstamp that I use. Then, if testing goes well, the load goes on to production brass (my main supply): Generally ~75% Win brass, ~10% R-P, ~5% ATK [FC•, FC, •FC•, Speer, CCI, Blazer, etc] ~5% WCC, and the remainder whatever other headstamps I have [PMP, CBC, PPU, S&B, STD, etc].)
Old November 13, 2015, 11:39 AM   #16
pete2

I had the same problem and Frankenmauser is right. Crimp in a separate operation. No more problem. I will add that they shot very well but it ain't the right way to do it. RCBS will make a nose punch to fit them, I had one made but started loading on a Dillon with separate crimp and it stopped the flattening. A made to fit punch dan't hurt tho.