The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

What aftermarket barrel do you run and why?

Glock, HK, SIG Sauer, a 1911A1 variant. Whichever.

What aftermarket barrel do you run and why did you choose to go with an aftermarket barrel?

What are your experiences with the brands you know first hand?

Pics are always welcomed and encouraged.
Old August 8, 2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

I'll go first. I run a LoneWolf Distributors stainless steel barrel in my Glock 19 for the range. Extended and 2 ports. It's just for fun at the range.

I'm looking to get a Rattac threaded barrel. They're just a PITA to find right now.

I want to test accuracy between Glock's rifling and a more conventional rifling such as LoneWolf, StormLake, or Rattac. Again, just for the sake of testing.
Old August 8, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
zincwarrior

KKM for my M&P full size. When I bought my M&P accuracy was poor. But before thoroughly broken in I procured an M&Pc as well and the accuracy was what I am used to. I found out that the lockup on barrels for M&Ps had been a complaint and was being rectified but some older ones had problems.

When I bought the KKM the deviation dropped to about a third of what it was.
Old August 8, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Hammerhead

The only aftermarket barrels I've bought are KKM .40 S&W conversion barrels for my Glock 10mms. Outstanding quality. Bores are super smooth, fit is perfect, accuracy is terrific.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Lone Wolf 5.32" barrel in my G33 during deer season. I only do it because I can't even take the gun into the woods legally during the season unless the barrel is at least 5". It's a very nice barrel. The chamber is tighter than the factory Glock but the chamber support (feed ramp intrusion) is slightly worse.

Old August 9, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6
RickB

I installed Kart barrels in two of my guns, because they make an "ez fit" version intended for hobby gunsmiths without milling machines, lug cutters, etc.
Another of my guns came with a KKM barrel that had a problem with the chamber, so I replaced it with a Storm Lake, as the latter had a barrel of the proper configuration and chambering listed on their overrun/ discontinued page.
I prefer barrels that need "a little" fitting.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
KenL

I have a Wilson barrel for my Glock 22. I wanted the tighter chamber and rifled barrel to be able to run lead and reloads. I don't have pictures, but it runs flawlessly and group size has been cut in half, and I'm still in the load development stage.
Old August 9, 2013, 01:08 PM   #8
WVsig

Barsto.... because they work and are even more accurate than the factory Sig barrel!

Old August 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Sorry guys, I'm back now.

I like the choices I see...

How do you guys feel about traditional rifling vs. polygonal?

I know there's not much difference in terms of accuracy. Mainly if one plans to shoot lead they should opt for traditional rifling.

What's this hype with changing handgun barrels for increased "accuracy"? Is it all just hype? Or are there really differences?

Another issue I want to touch base on is "chamber support". They said the aftermarket barrels have more chamber support, but isn't too much not good? Let's say in 9mm and .45, the .40 is a whole other monster I don't want to talk about personally.

Chamber support.
Rifling.
Accuracy.

What's your take on those? Any hard evidence?
Old August 13, 2013, 02:16 PM   #10

I have a Storm lake 5 inch stainless bbl in my m&p 357 sig. I purchased it for the extra length ( increased velocity ) and just for something different. I have put 50 rounds of underwood ammo thru it, Ran fine. I haven't noticed any increased accuracy. Interestingly, The factory bbl has just as much chamber support as the storm lake, both excellent. The only bbl I ever seen that has more chamber support than either of these is the Factory bbl in my 4566 TSW. The chamber on that barrel is Total chamber support. 45 Super Anyone?
Old August 13, 2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Ruger45LC

KKM is what I go with. Great quality and very accurate without having to be custom fit.
Old August 13, 2013, 07:39 PM   #12
rodfac

For my wife's Glock 23, I bought both the Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels in 9mm. Don't ask how I came to buy both, it's a sad story. Both shoot and function equally well, exhibit superb accuracy with our lead alloy 124 gr round nose practice round and shoot to the same point of aim!

In a Colt Combat Commander, a Barsto barrel was no more accurate than the Colt made original, and had some basic functioning problems.

Wilson barrels and bushings are fitted to five of my Colt 1911's...great barrels...giving match grade accuracy...worth the money spent in purchase and fitting.

Not really replacement barrels but Marvel, Ciener, and Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion units worked extremely well on all of the .45 cal. Colts and two Ruger 1911's, as well as one WWll Remington Rand. Accuracy had to be seen to be believed...match grade with all three.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

I run mostly lone wolf barrels (like the 10mm -> .40s&w conversion for mt gen4 g20) because they work well, are readily available, and the price is right.

If I needed it for competition or something, I would probably go with KKM based on my reviews... but I have had no problems at all with several storm lake barrels. I like that I can get it blind marked and blackened, which looks almost exactly like a standard glock barrel. The Gen4 G20 is my only .40S&W now and is my favorite to shoot - I'm not normally much of a .40 fan... but I had a bunch of it stockpiled, so I got to break in the g20 with a bunch of that.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

When it comes to after market barrels I've used just about every manufactures barrel that's available.

The most accurate barrels I've used are Schuemann Tribrid barrels with SLM barrels being a close second.

The quality of after market barrels in most cases is not an issue, it's the fitting of the barrel that makes the big difference.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 14, 2013, 08:32 AM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
What aftermarket barrel do you run and why did you choose to go with an aftermarket barrel?

What are your experiences with the brands you know first hand?
Lone Wolf barrel for G19. use it for peace of mind when shooting cast lead.

Drop in, works fine. Tight chamber (known issue) -- all factory ammo feeds, but handloads need to go through a Lee FCD first.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 14, 2013, 03:01 PM   #16
mwmjones

Lone Wolf for Glocks and XD's

Kart for 1911's
Old August 15, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
rodfac

Lee...I had no issues with a 9mm Lone Wolf barrel and lead alloy bullets in my wife's original Gen 3 G23. None of the reloaded rounds were a problem using Dillon Dies. Bullets, of Missouri Bullet Co. and Phoenix brands, measured .356 and seated with no problem. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 25, 2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

What aftermarket barrel do you run and why?

Here's my range barrel for giggles. Thinking of getting another flush one.

Help me decide... Another LoneWolf? Or...

KKM

Bar-Sto

Stormlake

Never really seen any evidence of the different riflings being better than one another.