The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 23, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
puckster

Genesis, general QA, INLINE QA

Just fired my Genesis for the first time. I like the fit and feel of the gun. No misfires, smooth action and good balance.
After 30 shots, still not comfortable I have it zeroed in. I am new to inline, but been hunting flint lock and rifle for over 25 years.
What other loads are people using? I am shooting 250gr TC Hollow Points with 110GR Winchester 7. Kicks pretty hard, and I am not that small. Conerned what 150 is like.... Maybe it's just because I'm shooting from the bench!!! Would rather shoot my .348 Winchester (yes a .348)
I have a group at 100 yards about 3 inches, but get a flyer with each group. Shooting with a scope.
What have others found as a good load for this gun as I am not happy with what I have. Since I am new to inline, is this acceptable? I have heard that flyers are not that uncommon with fouling in all brands.

Every so often, I would run a cloth down the barrel to make sure it is clean. It seems to me the rod is too short. One time I passed it too far down and needed plyers to get it out. A cheap way to save a buck, or normal for inline?

Also, after I brought it home, had a hell of a time getting the breach out. Unsure if I had blow bye or what. This normal for any inline? Was easy to clean, just a pain to get the breach out, I can see why the manual says to use a never seeze compound. Very smooth once out, cleaned and put back...

I'll be emailing Remington with my complaints on the rod length and also the breach sticking. THX
Old September 23, 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
mykeal

Quote:
group at 100 yards about 3 inches
Not great, but certainly good enough. I suggest more practice. Since this is your first bp rifle you will benefit from experience.

Quote:
get a flyer with each group...heard that flyers are not that uncommon with fouling...Every so often, I would run a cloth down the barrel to make sure it is clean.
"Flyers", or more to the point, inconsistent accuracy, is often caused by fouling buildup. "Every so often" isn't good enough. Depending on the use of a patch lube and what solvent you used on the cleaning patch (I assume it wasn't dry, was it, because if it was, you didn't clean anything) swabbing should be done every 3 to 5 shots or so. You need to take notes on when the "flyers" occur (third, fifth, sixth or whatever shot) and swab before they happen.

Flyers could also come from the new experience with the new gun. It does take practice.

Quote:
It seems to me the rod is too short. One time I passed it too far down and needed plyers to get it out. A cheap way to save a buck, or normal for inline?
The rod supplied with the gun is essentially meant as a ramrod. Does it have a fitting for a cleaning jag, and did you use one? If it is not threaded to accept a cleaning jag then it will not suffice for a cleaning rod and you need to buy a range rod for that purpose. If it is and you didn't use one, that's the reason it was too short. Get a cleaning jag. If you did use a cleaning jag and it was still too short, by all means write your complaint letter and go out and buy a range rod.

Quote:
,,,had a hell of a time getting the breach out. Unsure if I had blow bye or what. This normal for any inline?
You should disassemble any new gun and thoroughly clean it before shooting it to remove preservative oil and grease put in by the manufacturer. Putting anti-seize on the breech plug threads at that time would probably prevent a problem removing it after shooting. It's unlikely there was any blow by. If the threads had not been cleaned and anti-seize applied prior to shooting then the heat of combustion could have caused some of the oil on the threads to burn to carbon, thus causing the difficulty in removing it.

Last edited by mykeal; September 23, 2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?
Old September 24, 2007, 12:27 AM   #3
arcticap

777 is supposed to be reduced by 15% compared to regular BP, so that's the equivalent of using 131 grains of BP.
Heavy hunting loads are not neccessarily the most accurate or the same as target loads.
Did you work the loads up in 5 grain increments from a lower starting point to test for the best accuracy and frequency of flyers?
If not then the scientific process for working up the most accurate load was skipped over.

Also the load tested only holds for that one sabot/bullet combination, while another combination might produce different results.
There's always other reasons for flyers, maybe barrel temperature?
Also 777 doesn't like to be packed too tightly, and maybe that can make the velocity erratic.
I think that a 3 inch group is pretty good. It shouldn't take a whole group to shoot a deer, since that first shot out of a cold, clean barrel is usually the one that counts the most.

It sounds like you could use a replacement ramrod that's threaded for attaching a handle, or maybe you prefer a longer range rod. Sometimes longer rods can protrude an inch or two from the muzzle without any ill effects.
Click on click on "ramrods & accessories" in the left hand column. They will cut a ramrod to order out of different materials for no extra charge (If a ramrod is an inch or two longer, it might not matter though).
This outfit makes them out of several materials, drilled and tapped at both ends, for a reasonable price. Click on "ramrods and accessories" in the left hand column for more info.:

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm