The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2005, 11:25 PM   #1
WhiskeyMike

Surefire question

I have a Surefire 6P. I have had it for a couple of years now but it hasn't seen much hard use till this deployment. I have broken the light in it twice now and they are hard to get and expensive too. It seems that when the light has been in use for 10 or more minutes that it is very delicate. I dropped it once and broke it but the second time I just banged it on a metal rack (not too hard I don't think) and it blew out again. Do I have a defective one or is this normal for the 6P. Unfortunatly I cannot count on it to be there when i need it anymore.

WM
Old December 13, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2
stratus

Mike,

This is only me, if a product claims to be reliable under a variety of operating conditions (Surefire makes that claim for just about all its lights; that's what they're for), then it should fulfill that claim, or it is not a satisfactory product. No Surefire light should be so delicate that it blows out when you tap it against a metal rack. I would contact Surefire about this and see what they have to say. For the record, they have some very nice LED flashlights that would do away with the breakage problem.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:27 AM   #3
WhiskeyMike

WildAlaska is going to look and see if he has an E2L in stock for me. The LED ones should be able to take a little more abuse. I checked the Surefire website and they don't warranty bulbs or batteries, for obvious reasons, they are 'wear and tear' items. I might call them when I get back to the states and see if delicate bulb blowing is normal or not. If its normal, I'll put it in the glovebox of the truck when I get home or maybe pick up a LED conversion for it.
I have an Inova X5 that works pretty good but I like the surefire better.

WM
Old December 14, 2005, 08:01 PM   #4
TwoGuns

Sounds weird. I have a 6P thats a little over a year old, two G2's and an A2 Aviator. I can say in some confidence that I've dropped all of them from standing distances. Never had a bulb go out on me. The only bulb I've bought was a P61 lamp to upgrade the 6P to 120 lumens.
Old December 15, 2005, 01:06 PM   #5
mgdavis

I'd go ask the question at candlepowerforums. From what I've gathered there, high preformance bulbs are very fragile when hot, and dropping one when on will usually blow it.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:35 AM   #6
HappyGunner

I would call Surefire

If it were my Surefire flashlight I would call Surefire and discuss this problem. It sure can't hurt to ask them if they would like to check you'r light and make sure it's within their limits of operation.
Old December 18, 2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Caeser22

thats definitely defective both my surefires got banged up pretty good over there and i never had a single problem.
Old December 19, 2005, 12:12 AM   #8
WhiskeyMike

i ordered a lanyard (off this board) to help keep me from dropping it for now and when i get back in january i am going to contact surefire and see what they suggest. I have spent more in bulbs than i did for the light itself. I am considering getting the led conversion for it.
Old December 19, 2005, 07:51 AM   #9
araebisu
Registration in progress

i hade a c3 that i found on the road over in iraq. has been run over by a 7 ton or 2 and when i picked it up it worked perfectly. i think you may have gotten a bad one
Old December 20, 2005, 01:02 AM   #10
Caeser22

email them and see what they say