The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 29, 2001, 05:10 PM   #1
sundance43.5

1991A1 Worth It?

Just curious as to everyone's opinions on the Colt 1991A1, I'm really interested in buying one.

Also, what's the difference between the Commander and the Government?

Thanks

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Old August 29, 2001, 05:17 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I don't mind the 1991A1's myself, although I've always viewed them more as a starting point for building a gun to my specs.

The Commander has the same length grip as the Government and takes the same magazines but has a shorter barrel and slide.
Old August 29, 2001, 05:59 PM   #3
RikWriter

Depends on how much you have to pay for it. If you can get one for under $500, it's probably worth it. If you have to pay anywhere close to $600, no.
Old August 29, 2001, 07:31 PM   #4
Blue Duck357

Bought one new about 6 years ago for $375, never had a jam or bobble out of it, but it just was not very accurate and I got interested in other things so I sold it

Last year I bought another one when the rumor was going around that Colt was going to stop making them, and I knew I had tohave a "real" Colt .45 Paid $550, way too much. This gun actually seemed a little tighter. I've had about 6-800 rounds through it, no problems at all and it shoots into 3-3 1/2" at 25 yards when I do my part. In all I'm very happy with it, but freely admit I overpaid.
Old August 29, 2001, 08:18 PM   #5
Kermit

Got a stainless 1991a1 a few months back. Tried to keep it bone stock, but after about 350 rounds and some serious hammer bite, it got sent to the 'smith. I had always wanted to have a real Colt in the collection and now I do.
Old August 29, 2001, 08:25 PM   #6
Lightsped

I have a basic 1991A1 in blued steel. I have yet to shoot it, but it seems to be well made, although the slide action is kind of rough compared to my Sig and Beretta. Maybe it will smoothen itself out after it is fired some?
Old August 29, 2001, 10:38 PM   #7
Big Ken

I got one a few months back & I love it, it shoots straight when I'm shootin straight, & never a ftf or any malfunction of any sort...........good gun.
Old August 30, 2001, 11:54 AM   #8
Noban

I have a 1991A1 that I bought 3 years ago for $450, new. I changed the rubber grips for rosewood and replaced the recoil spring with a stronger one. The pistol has been 100% reliable and accurate.

Noban
Old August 30, 2001, 11:57 AM   #9
Las Vegan Cajun

Quote:
Also, what's the difference between the Commander and the Government?
Colt introduced a new gun, based on the M-1911 A1 "Government" design, which was a shortened version of the M-1911 A1 pistol. This new gun featured a 4.25" barrel, (compared to the 5" of its prodecessor) and had an aluminum frame (for the first time this material was used in a handgun frame). The gun was called "Commander" (and not "Lightweight Commander" which was adopted later by Colt for this pistol) and was very well received by the public. In the years to come, Colt also produced the same pistol but with a steel frame, named "Combat Commander", and the term "Commander" has been used ever since to denote guns with 4.25" barrels. Still later on, Colt introduced a pistol with an even shorter barrel (3.75"), targeting the concealed carry users, called "Officer's", which also had a shorter frame, thus using 6 round magazines. Again, this model name, is used today to denote the smallest model versions, with shorter barrel and frames.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1911 can be found at The M-1911 Pistols Home Page
Old August 30, 2001, 01:13 PM   #10
Richard

I want to echo the positive responses. I do not own one of these pistols but friends do. I have shot them a lot and found them to be accurate and dependable. Why don't I own one? I already have a Colt Officer, Colt Commander, Springfield 1911A1 (loaded), and two nice Norinco 1911A1 pistols. In addition I have 5 D/A action 45acps and two revolvers. Enough is enough but if one came my way at the right price... Regards, Richard
Old August 30, 2001, 01:19 PM   #11
Lightsped

Are the "new" Colt 1911's already in production? Has anyone seen or bought one of these? How much are they going for?
Old August 30, 2001, 09:37 PM   #12
Jamie Young

My first Handgun was a Colt 1991A1 and I got it for $375. I haven't sold it Make sure you get good mags for it and you shouldn't have any problems. Its not the top of the line but its a Colt 45
Old August 30, 2001, 10:03 PM   #13
Coronach

Habla Espanol?

Sistema. Its a colt, its just a colt that speaks spanish. $312, shipped.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 30, 2001, 11:09 PM   #14
slickpuppy

I love Colt firearms...

But, the 1991s can have a tendency to be a hit or miss proposition. Colt reached pretty deep into the parts bins for some of these pistol builds so you really don't know what you will get or what you are buying.

If you must have a Colt(of course you must!!!!) try to find something else first in 1911esque pistol models. If that isn't possible, then buy it as a last resort.
Old August 31, 2001, 12:07 AM   #15
Richard

slickpuppy, again, how many of the 1911A1 pistols have you shot? I have experience with 3 of them and they all work very well. Are they the equal of my Norinco 1911A1s? No, but these 1991s have all worked well for me out of the box. The last one I shot, about two weeks ago, wasn't that accurate for its owner but worked fine in my hand. Not a slam, just the way I see it. Regards, Richard
Old August 31, 2001, 12:36 AM   #16
ahenry

I love mine

I paid about 350.00 several years ago for a Commander. Many thousands of rounds later I have yet to have any problems with it that I didn't cause from poor reloads or a brief fling with a shok-buff. I know many that use buffs in their full size 1911's, but the shorter Commander can hiccough when you shorten the slide travel by using a buff.
Old September 4, 2001, 12:47 PM   #17
spyder2

Coronach,

What site has the Systema's (?) for $312 shipped? I'm starting to get the 1911 bug and am hearing good things about them. Haven't seen any on the auction sites this cheap.

spyder2
Old September 4, 2001, 01:45 PM   #18
spyder2

Coronach,

What site has the Systema's (?) for $312 shipped? I'm starting to get the 1911 bug and am hearing good things about them. Haven't seen any on the auction sites this cheap.

spyder2
Old September 4, 2001, 01:50 PM   #19
Coltdriver

1911's are Like Harley's

They are an absolute classic design and you can build one without having a single original part in it, just like a harley. The aftermarket is such that if you purchase a stock example, you will be very tempted to make it personally yours by adding somthing special to it.

They are simple enough that, with a little guidance, just about anyone can take one completely apart and successfully put it back together again.

They are very rugged if left in a "bone stock" condition.

I had a Norinco that was classic loose fitted, but you could drop it in the dirt and it was unfazed.

If you tighten one up, its just like hopping up your harley. It may be more fun for a certain purpose, but it may require extra attention from you too.

Get as good as you can for as cheap as you can because it is not difficult to get an extra 500 to 1000 dollars in one with aftermarket stuff and tweaking.