The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Shootest

Shell Holders ?

Anyone notice any differences in the shell holders form the different manufactures? Until recently I have used only RCBS and Lee, but I just acquired one from Redding and I have to say shells fit better and it is machined nicer. Is this normal?
Old February 21, 2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Bart B.

There's a few thousandths spread across all shell holder dimensions except height from face to top which is typically .125" for all. That's done to accommodate case head dimension spreads and that sizing and seating dies are typically chambered to headspace correctly on them.

Finish varies but doesn't effect reloads.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 21, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:41 PM   #3
McShooty

I have some Hornady shell holders that have larger center holes than the RCBS or Lee. The RCBS and Lee will not work in Hornady's case trimmer because this trimmer uses shell holders to hold the cases for trimming, and the plug which locks the case in the holder needs the larger center hole of the Hornady holders.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:02 PM   #4
cw308

I have the Redding Compatition shell Holders, they work great, But if were talking about the standard .125 shell holder, Bart B answered the question.
Old February 21, 2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Some of the slots differ because the different makers have their own shell holder numbering systems and have allowed themselves different rim diameter slot size changes with each number. As a result, one maker may have slightly different head dimension cartridges A and B using the same shell holder, while another manufacturer has those same two cartridges in two different numbered shell holders.

Here is a table of cartridges vs. shell holder numbers, where you can see this in 12 instances.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2015, 09:02 AM   #6
F. Guffey

[QUOTE] height from face to top which is typically .125" for all. [QUOTE]

Typically we are referring to deck height as in the deck height of a shell holder. When I started on the reloading forums there was a claim die and shell holders had to be matched to manufactures because that was the only way???

I measured the deck height, then I looked for loose shell holders, not shell holders that did not agree with the standard .125" deck height but shell holders that were loose at the extractor groove. I wanted shell holders that could be lifted off of the deck of the shell holders. I found RCBS perfect for forming cases for short chambers. Most RCBS shell holders allow me the luxury of forming cases for chambers that are .012" short from the shoulder to the bolt face.

Then there is Lee shell holders, some of the Lee shell holders are 'more loose'? or looser? generous? I have Lee shell holders that allow for forming cases .015" shorten, that would be .003" shorter than RCBS.

Then there are shell holders that have little to no benefit when forming short cases. From the beginning they had a different design function and let me know real quick/fast I shot a round that was loaded on the hot side and beyond.

Holes in shell holders: RCBS went through some changes, one has a hole through the shell holder without a bevel on the bottom, another with a slight bevel and the last with a bevel that fits an adapter for a hand primer.

I have shell holders, I have a Herter 2 ram press, 2 rams, two shell holders. Not a problem in the beginning but for some reason Herter shell holders have gotten expensive. I like Herter shell holders, they fit.

There are times the shell holder was the problem. I loaned two auto primers to a friend, he did not think it was fair, I explained to him changing hand primers was not going to fix the problem. He contacted RCBS, they made parts for him, I was impressed, still the problem continued. They sent him enough parts to build another hand primer, the problem continued. They then offered him a shell holder and he waited, it arrived. In the mean time I called RCBS, they offered me a shell holder, I declined their offer unless it had a groove cut in the shell holder that would allow for protruding primers, it didn't.

RCBS did not want reloaders priming cases for slide guns with protruding primers, they wanted to protect the reloader from the reloader. They did not want 'slam fires'. Without the groove the reloader was jammed up with a case stuck on top of the auto hand primer and no way to remove it.

F. Guffey
Old February 22, 2015, 09:09 AM   #7
F. Guffey

I have a Redding competition shell holder set for mag./belted cases. I paid $5.00 for it. For everything else I use the feeler gage. It is the 'be kind to your press tool'. I am the fan of controlling the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case. I am the only one that does not have case head space, I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case.

I do not find that tricky, determine the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face first.

F. Guffey