The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 30, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Miami_JBT

Just snagged a Finned Remington M91... need help

Just bought what appears to be a Finn Remington M91. The receiver has a "D" stamping on the side, no [SA] box, and it has a SS also on the side. I believe that the barrel is original since it's shank has the Remington Armory markings on it. Also the stock has a blank stock disc on the butt. It's missing the cleaning rod. Any clue where I can purchase one?

Pics soon...

Paid $200.00 for it. If I remember correctly the SS number means Civil Guard district and the "D"stamp means its been rated to shoot Soviet made ammo.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I not aware of Remington making the 91/30 for the Finns. Could it be that the Finns captured some Rooskie equipment? Alternatively, I think Finland was under Russia before the Revolution (the first one that threw out the Czar and not the Red one that killed the Czar). If so, then it would have been a Russian contract 91/30 that was supplied to Finland.

Insights from others appreciated.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Miami_JBT

Quote:
I not aware of Remington making the 91/30 for the Finns. Could it be that the Finns captured some Rooskie equipment? Alternatively, I think Finland was under Russia before the Revolution (the first one that threw out the Czar and not the Red one that killed the Czar). If so, then it would have been a Russian contract 91/30 that was supplied to Finland.

Insights from others appreciated.
Remington and Westinghouse were contracted in WWI to produce M1891 Mosin Nagants for the Russian Imperial Army. The M1891/30 was made by the Soviets starting 1930.

Finland issued and continued to make M91 Rifles after they broke free from Russia. This rifle is a Model 1891.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Miami_JBT

Civil Guard Number is SS44586; which my research leads me to believe that it was assigned to the South-West Häme Civil Guard District which became part of the 5. Division (Tavastian Division or Lynx Division) during the Continuation War.

The following markings are on the barrel shank.

SS Civil Guard District Number on right side of shank
"D"stamping just to the right of the "No" stamping above serial number
(K) stamping on right side of shank
(II) stamping on left side of shank
Standard Remington Armory stamping
Royal Double Headed Eagle with "II" below the claws
Old June 1, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
MikeG

Liberty Tree Collectors has M91 cleaning rods.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=17