The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 9, 2013, 02:28 AM   #1
rfxcasey

SKS Legalities

Bought a Norinco SKS. Doesn't have a muzzle break, flash hider or flash suppressor on it. Would adding one make it illegal in North Carolina or under federal law? Do I need to worry about the whole 922r thing? Would it matter if the break/hider/suppressor was US or foreign made? The rifle is all stock and this would be the only mod I'm thinking of doing to it.
Old May 9, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2
bacardisteve

I don't know NC laws but federal law (922r) will come into play if any aftermarket acessories are added.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I have not heard of any legal issues with adding muzzle accessories to your firearm if it is not a sound suppressor and you do not live in a state with an AWB
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old May 9, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
bustersmaster

Go to survivors sks forums. It's a complicated issue. If you make certain changes to the guns, then you have to make a bunch of other changes in order to effectively change the status of the rifle from imported to U.S. made.
It's the feds, nothing is simple.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Mike38

There is a “compliance generator” at saiga-12.com that you can click on the added / changed features you have on your imported rifle. The generator will automatically tell you if you are 922r compliant or not. It’s made for the Saiga line of rifles, but also works for the SKS.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
Bought a Norinco SKS. Doesn't have a muzzle break, flash hider or flash suppressor on it. Would adding one make it illegal in North Carolina or under federal law? Do I need to worry about the whole 922r thing? Would it matter if the break/hider/suppressor was US or foreign made? The rifle is all stock and this would be the only mod I'm thinking of doing to it.
under federal law nothing on an SKS is illegal, even suppressors as long as you have the tax stamp for them. I can't speak for north crackalacky however.

as for 922R, any stock SKS is exempt that is in stock configuration however once you change it from factory configuration, be it sights or a new stock you must drop the number of foreign made parts down to 10(only certain parts count). there are 14 parts you need to worry about(yugoslavians have a flash hider so they have 15). the stock and handguard count as 2 pieces, and the magazine body and follower count as 2 pieces so just by changing the stock and throwing in a crapco or promag magazine you would be 922R compliant.

922R is not complicated in regards to SKS, here is a work sheet that shows just how easy it is to make an SKS compliant and what parts are currently available from american manufacturers that will make it compliant.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:43 AM   #7
rfxcasey

Tahunua, you are saying they are exempt as long as they are stock? I don't understand. If its stock, its stock, so what is it exempt from? Sounds like you are saying stock is exempt from changes but that makes not sense cause then its not stock anymore and falls under 922r.

You said nothing is illegal about an SKS so does that mean you can add a muzzle break to a stock one with no issues? Wouldn't adding a muzzle break make it no longer "stock" as it was when it was imported?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
tahunua001

Quote:
Tahunua, you are saying they are exempt as long as they are stock? I don't understand. If its stock, its stock, so what is it exempt from? Sounds like you are saying stock is exempt from changes but that makes not sense cause then its not stock anymore and falls under 922r.
I mean that the rifle is exempt from 922R under 925D. 922R is primarily an import law but if they can't stick you with anything else they will get you for having a non compliant rifle. most SKS at this point are considered curio and relic status, meaning that they are 50+ years old and becoming collectable so forcing people to modify them for import/ownership is a a little underhanded so they exempt an originally configured SKS from 922R as a collectors piece. true norincos however are not C&R as they were made later on specifically for civilian sales. they were imported in great numbers until the AWB and now follow the same rules as all other SKS in the states. if it's original configuration then 922R does not apply. if you change one thing then you have to change a lot of other things.

Quote:
You said nothing is illegal about an SKS so does that mean you can add a muzzle break to a stock one with no issues? Wouldn't adding a muzzle break make it no longer "stock" as it was when it was imported?
you can add a muzzle break but that would be the modification that takes it out of stock configuration and means you have to change a lot of other stuff.

and that's just speaking federally, I have no idea what NC has as far as local restrictions.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:49 PM   #9
rfxcasey

Well that's lame. So I guess that would apply to a bolt on break too then. What about extended mags?