The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
rbf420

opinions on hornandy case trimmer

looking at getting my first real trimmer, specifically the Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Kit, just wondering if any of you all have used this and if its worth it. it also says to use hornandy shell holders and the shell holders "fit in most other presses" so will lee shell holders work in it as well?
Old March 29, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
dmazur

I have one of these and I love it. Very repeatable, and although it doesn't have a micrometer dial like some others, it has a fine adjustment that makes it very easy to "sneak up on" a desired trim length.

I don't have any Lee shell holders to try out. However, I found this review on Midway -

Quote:
Product performs as expected. Very sturdy and easy to handle. Like the higher profile than the other trimmers. Only draw back is having to purchase Hornady shell holders, this was not mentioned in the add, came as an extra expence. All my shell holders are Lee and do not fit the Hornady trimmer. Thanks.
It probably is related to the Hornady case lock mechanism fitting through the hole in the shell holder. If the diameter isn't large enough, it won't hold the case.

Someone who has both products will have to do a better job of explaining why they don't work. I'm just guessing...
Old March 29, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
enstorm

The hornady trimmer is very consistent, doesn't loosen up and shift positions like some I have had. I like it a lot. I had to buy hornady shell holders though because the ones I had from other manufacturers would not fit, don't recall which brand though
Old March 29, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
roc1

My Hornady works great a lot better than the one I used to own. You have to use Hornady shellholders according to Hornady. It is very accurate and repeatable.
roc1