The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 25, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
gregjc9

Another reason to CC if you have the permit

A couple was attacked recently, by the news report so far seems to be random. The husband was beat to death, and his wife was severly beaten as well. They were able to identify the couple due to his prints being on file through his CHP. All blessings go out to the family.

Now to find the low life scum that did this.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...3293&catid=158

Loudoun Police say William and Cynthia Bennett may have been the victims of a random attack.

LANSDOWNE, Va. (WUSA) -- Sheriff's Deputies in Loudoun County were out in force this Tuesday morning trying to gather new information that might lead to an arrest in a shocking attack on a local couple.

Deputies set up a road block on Riverside Parkway near the intersection of Rocky Creek Drive, the same area where William and Cynthia Bennett of the Potomac Station neighborhood were brutally beaten and left for dead early Sunday morning. Officers handed out flyers to early morning commuters, hoping to find people who may have been in the area around the same time of the attack.

Late Monday afternoon, Loudoun County Sheriff Steve Simpson told the worried community he has few answers.

"If it's random, that's very, very scary," Simpson said.

Investigators aren't sure if the couple was attacked while jogging or abducted and attacked in a white van that was seen in the area.

William Bennett, 57, was killed, and his body was found on one side of Riverside Parkway near Rocky Creek Drive. Police identified the victims through William Bennett's fingerprints, which were on file because he was a concealed weapons permit holder.

Cynthia Bennett was found in the woods on the other side of the Parkway. She's in critical condition at a local hospital and under police guard tonight.

They both suffered from blunt force trauma, but Sheriff Simpson says it appears there was no weapon used. He also said there was no sign Mrs. Bennett had been sexually attacked.

The couple did have a jogging and walking routine in the early morning hours. Simpson said it may have been either a crime of opportunity or someone who targeted them.

Greg
Old March 25, 2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, but that won't happen to me because I live in Texas.

Seriously, unless folks are local to the crime, what happens far away isn't likely to convince them to carry. They have already reasoned out whether they will carry or not.

Stories of successful use of firearms for self defense go a lot further, IMHO, to convincing people that carrying a gun for self defense can be effective than just using scare tactics to frighten them into carrying.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
BigDog454

I came home from the store one Sunday morning and suprised someone who had broken in. They ran out the front door when I came in the back. I carry all of the time now, except in gun free (kill) zones.
ps. who do I sue if I get attacked in a gun free zone? Who is responsible for my safety?
Old March 25, 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
chris in va

No mention if he was carrying at the time.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:54 PM   #5
JasonG

I tell a few I work with, "It can't save your life siting in the console"

I forget who said it (aging stinks) but rule #_ of winning a gunfight is "bring a gun"
Prayers going out for the family.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61