The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2008, 01:19 PM   #1
ormandj

After vibratory cleaning, how to remove walnut powder?

Hi,

Just started reloading (today!) I just ran ~500 .45ACP CCI brass through my vibratory cleaner, using the lyman crushed walnut medium. It worked great, brass looks sparkly, but there is still residue from the medium, even after running it through the media separator.

How do I clean this off? It's mostly inside the cases, but I'm sure there's a bit on the outside too.

Thank you kindly,
David
Old July 21, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Alleykat

I never use staight walnut; 50/50 cc and walnut. NuFinish and a used dryer sheet cut in two pieces to absorb the dust.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
ormandj

Ok, thanks for the advice for the future, but how do I sort out the issue mentioned in the first post? I'm thinking I might try just using my air compressor to blast it all out, it seems like it's stuck on via static (I guess that's how dryer sheets would help...)
Old July 21, 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
nosualc

I use a 5 gallon pail with 6 inches of hot water and a mild detergent (I use simple green). Dump the brass in, swish it around some. Rinse. I let mine dry in the sun.

-nosualc
Old July 21, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5
dardascastbullets

Hi ormandj,

Without knowing all the details of your media, it sounds like you didn't treat the media prior to tumbling your brass. Or, the media is heavily laden with dust. I always conditioned media prior to using it. Any type of tumbling media liquid added to the media and tumbled without brass will condition your media.
If it is heavily laden with dust, I would return it for a refund, or if that isn't possible, you can remove the dust by slowly pouring it in a light breeze letting the dust separate from the media.
I hope this information helps.

Matt
Old July 21, 2008, 02:15 PM   #6
res45

Not sure how much you paid for your walnut media but you can get it a PetSmart or another pet stores allot cheaper.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752164

another good source of Walnut or Cob media.

http://www.championsbrand.com/mediacatalog.html
Old July 21, 2008, 03:07 PM   #7
wncchester

ormandj, put a couple of teaspoons of mineral spirits in your media and add a couple of 2" squares of paper towel or dryer sheet and tumble your brass about an hour. That should remove the "dust" for you.

The really small stuff in the media will get clogged in the loose weave of the paper and you can toss it out when finished. You will need to repeat this jsut about every time you tumble, the mineral spirits will evaporate overnight.
Old July 21, 2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Don2

Another place to buy cheap walnut media right now while sale is on.
Midway has Frankford walnut media 18 lbs for $18.79.
That the same price as the pet store.!!
I just bought a bag of it for my big Bur-King tumbler...and it almost took all of it..!!!!
Man...What a big tumbler...Bigger than I need, but I got a killer deal on it

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...169&t=11082005

I've had no problems with it so far..I use Nu-Car finish in my media.

Don2
Old July 21, 2008, 06:46 PM   #9
ormandj

Great, thanks everyone! I'll pick up the dryer sheets and mineral spirits tomorrow.

Cheers,
David
Old July 21, 2008, 06:58 PM   #10
38 Super Auto

+1 on the [used] dryer sheets. They tend to soak up all the fine particulate and keep your media cleaner. I replace them after each tumbling session.

Don't forget that Harbor Freight sells walnut shell "blasting" media in 25lb cases for $24.99. I got the 12 grit coarse grade - it is about the size that I was buying at gun shows.
Old July 22, 2008, 04:23 PM   #11
ormandj

Update:

Turns out, it was the media I was using.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=557992

Click on "reviews", and you'll find out it's hit everybody who uses it. Do NOT buy this junk.

It took 3 washes with simple green/water and sun dry cycles to get the brass even 10% cleaner. Gave up on that idea.

I spent three hours scrubbing out my media separator, *finally* got the red dust off it. Had to use simple green, and a roll of paper towels.

Finally, the vibratory cleaner - I couldn't even scrub the red dust crap out of it, it had apparently worked its' way into the plastic. I went to Petsco, bought a bunch of corn cob bedding and that crushed walnut lizard bedding, mixed it about 50/50, and filled the tumbler with that. It's currently running, with a paper towel torn into 1" squares inside. I already replaced the paper towels three times now, they are finally coming out without a bunch of red crap all over them. From what I can see, it looks like this is finally eating the red dust junk off the cleaner, thank goodness. I'm going to let it run 3 hours to be sure.

Then, I'm going to have to dump all that media, fill it back up w/ the 50/50 split media, put in some polish I grabbed at the gun shop, and run that for 5 minutes, then dump the brass back in, and along with paper towels, clean it yet *again*. Hopefully it'll get all the red dust out of the brass, because washing/air compressor couldn't.

Lesson learned - stick to corncob/walnut media from pet stores. Lyman media sucks (and it's expensive, to boot.) Hopefully this will save other people from having to go through the mess I just did.

Cheers,
David
Old July 22, 2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Alleykat

David, chances are that pet store corn cob media is too coarse for cleaning brass.
Old July 22, 2008, 05:27 PM   #13
ormandj

Thanks for the update. I did the 50/50 mix because the corn cob bedding is rather course (a little smaller than .177 BBs.) That said, I thought it might work as follows:

The ground walnut will be the actual "cleaner" of the mix, since it's relatively fine. The course corn cob mix will function to collect the dirt/dust/grime/powder/etc being scrubbed off the brass. That was my thought, anyways, I have no idea if it really will work like that!

If it is really pointless, I'm out $5, so it's not that big of a deal.
Old July 22, 2008, 07:33 PM   #14
cpaspr

I use straight corn cob from the pet store. First load for cleaning goes two hours with four 3"x3" pieces of paper towels to catch dust. Second load goes for one hour but the second batch of media has been treated with polishing compound.

Works for me, and the media was very cheap. Haven't tried it on any really small mouth cases yet, so don't know if the corn cob is too course or not.
Old July 22, 2008, 07:41 PM   #15
wingman

I to purchased the Midway dust bowl stuff more like a pigment then cleaner,
tossed that and purchased Petsmart Lizzard bedding + add nufinish polish works great.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:23 PM   #16
aerod1

Right now I am using straight treated walnut with some dryer sheets and it is working fine. I just removed some 357 brass about 5 minutes ago.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 22, 2008, 10:43 PM   #17
ISC

"vibratory cleaner" = "tumbler"
Old July 23, 2008, 09:12 AM   #18
mkl

Quote:
I'm thinking I might try just using my air compressor to blast it all out
Looks like you have your problem solved, but I found a gizmo at Harbor Freight that is pretty handy for blowing out the inside of cases and getting the media out of flash holes.

Key in 95159 in their "Find item number" function.

http://www.harborfreight.com

I made something similar years ago and use it quite often for my bottle neck cases.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:41 AM   #19
aerod1

I just dump the walnut media out and start reloading. It seems to have worked so far.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 23, 2008, 11:34 AM   #20
CrustyFN

Quote:
Great, thanks everyone! I'll pick up the dryer sheets and mineral spirits tomorrow.

Cheers,
David
You want to use dryer sheets that are already used, if you use new ones you will get all of that crud in your tumbler. I just use a parer towel sheet instead and it works fine. I also use 3/4 cap full of Nu Finish car polish in walnut and tumble for two hours, they come out like new. Don't use anything that has ammonia in it or car wax.
Welcome to reloading.
Rusty
Old July 23, 2008, 12:11 PM   #21
snuffy

Ormandj, what you had there is Lyman tumbler media charged with rouge. It's a mild abrasive that jewelers use to polish gold or silver. The rouge gets rubbed off onto the cases and everything else the media touches. You were unlucky to have tried the worst stuff you could have picked for your first trial.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 24, 2008, 10:51 AM   #22
TEDDY

lyman

that stuff is horrid.yes it is rouge.I found out the hard way too.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:15 PM   #23
farnorthdan

pet smart

I use the Zilla walnut lizard bedding in my tumbler and it works great. I also add a splash (cap-full) of mineral spirits, this usually produces cases that don't even need any additional cleaning. Sometimes when the media starts getting old I do have to wash after tumbling, for this I just put it in a large bowl add some dish soap and water and agitate by hand, rinse, rinse some more then dry. I place cases on a cookie sheet and dry in the oven at a low temp. usually around 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.....works great for me.

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:52 PM   #24
zxcvbob

I *like* that stuff. Just cut it 50% to 60% with CC to adsorb the excess rouge. (makes the Tufnut go a lot farther too)
Old August 28, 2008, 03:48 PM   #25
rolyasm

Crap,
Wish I woud have read this before I bought that Lyman stuff from sportsmans. Dust all over. I just posted a new thread on this issue before I found this thread. Any way to delete the one I just listed? So sounds like I will dump it all, buy some walnet, put in some mineral spirites and small pieces of laundry sheets. Any other ideas?